Bought a 29 which was over populated ( IMO )

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mhollibush

AC Members
Dec 24, 2010
Savannah GA
Was out looking on craigslist ( second Hobby ) and ran across a 29 gallon with the following:
1 Anemone ( blue tip )
2 Cinnamon Clowns
1 three striped Damsel
1 Electric Blue Damsel
2 Three Spot Damsel
and a multi-colored fish that hides in the rock ( pink, purple and bluish in color )
Plus several hermits ( blues, reds ) and a few snails

roughly 20 lbs of live rock and some coral and about 15-20 of crushed coral.

Two Questions:

First - 160 for everything - good or bad?

Second - these fish are pretty big and I feel they are crowded.

My 75 is stable and all test come back perfect - can I or should I introduce them to the 75?

75 has been up for a month - has 4 small damsels in it 100 lbs of LR plus 80 lbs of LS -

Feed back would be greatly appreciated

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
$160 was a good deal IMO assuming everything is in pretty good shape.

Yes, it's way overstocked (and aggressive). I would not be surprised if you had a decent cycle from moving that tank (especially with all those fish and the nem).

They would certainly do better in the 75 but if you don't want them find them another home or take them to your LFS. Clowns should be fine not sure how the new damsels with fair with the damsels in the 75.

Is this a bubble tip nem or what kind? What kind of lighting in the 75?

mhollibush

AC Members
Dec 24, 2010
Savannah GA
its a white nem with blue tips ( not bubble ) closed up its about the size of a 50 cent piece.
the 75 has 6 t5 3 white and 3 blue. had the water tested today at the LSF all came back great. Ran the "at home" test on the 29 - all checked out fine. the 4 damsels in the 75 are real small. would love to get the fish out of the 29 - the person I bought it from stated the tank has been running for almost two years.

I am hoping that I can "break" up the crowded tank.

any advice on how to introduce the fish to the 75 would be great - how many should I move at a time and how long in between the moves.

thanks in advance

mhollibush

AC Members
Dec 24, 2010
Savannah GA
oh - I would love to keep the fish - they seem to get along with each other in the 29 - and they are twice the size of the 4 damsels in the 75

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I would move the clowns over as a pair and then move the damsels in one by one spacing it out over a couple of weeks per addition. If your water tests indicate the 75 is handling the new bioload well maybe you can move them over sooner or maybe add two fish at a time.

Hopefully the SG in each tank is about the same so acclimation to the 75 won;t be a big change. If they are significantly off, I would probably get the cube's temp and SG to match the 75 so the fish can just be moved over without the stress of dripping/floating them.

The white nem concerns me a bit. Nems are, with few exceptions, not naturally white. Sounds like a bleached Sebae and it would probably like the 6 bulb T5 over the cube's PCs. If you move the nem over too (which I would if I was going to keep it) you will want to acclimate it to your 75's lighting. You can do this by putting like 4 or 5 sheets of window screen over the tank and remove a sheet every week or two. If the nem settles in to a spot you can cut the creen so it is just above the nem so your corals can stay under the lighting they are used to.

mhollibush

AC Members
Dec 24, 2010
Savannah GA
Moved the clowns over lastnight - they seem to be doing fine.. the nem has settled into a spot between two rocks and has been fully open for most of the morning ( clowns are loving it ).

checking the salinity of the two tanks, they match perfectly and the PH is off by .1 from tank to tank.

will keep you posted - I will try to get a pic of the nem and post it - not sure what it is, but the clowns are "guarding" it

mhollibush

AC Members
Dec 24, 2010
Savannah GA
Update - had to get the fish out of the 29 - they were stressed from the move and the tank was not looking the healthiest after setting it up at the house. not real happy with putting everything in the 75 at once - but it looked as though the 29 was getting ready to crash and I didn't want to lose what I had just invested in.

one other question - was cleaining out the 29 and seen that it has bristle worms - is this a good thing or bad thing - I have read that they are harmless and good for the tank - then I have read where they will tear up your corals and kill fish... a little concerned.. have not put anything in the 75 except for the fish and anemone. looking for advice - would love to put the LR in the 75 as it has some good growth

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store