Baking Soda to raise pH - How much?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bgolfer88

AC Members
Feb 17, 2010
Virginia
This is what I'm doing, I don't want to know about other options (no offense) I just want to know if anyone has a legit idea on dosing. Thanks!

Reeyia

AC Members
Jul 11, 2009
1 tsp for each 5 gallond

Reeyia

AC Members
Jul 11, 2009
Edit - sorry I meant gallons

Reeyia

AC Members
Jul 11, 2009
I believe the increase is going to depend on the buffering capability of your water (I could be wrong on that particular point), but I would say anywhere from 2-4 tenths up to a full point. Such as 7.2 up to 7.4 or 8.4. A popular rift lake recipe is 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp aquarium salt and 1 tablespoon epsom salt for 5 gallons. You will either have to continue to add with each water change or provide some type of buffer to hold the pH where you need it (coral rock works well and driftwood)
Someone with more experience may want to chime in though if I am off a bit.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
This is what I'm doing, I don't want to know about other options (no offense) I just want to know if anyone has a legit idea on dosing. Thanks!
how low is your pH and why do you want to raise it?
Just curious.

edit: nvm saw your other thread in the illness section.

Last edited:

Bgolfer88

AC Members
Feb 17, 2010
Virginia
yeah. for ppl viewing this thread it usually settles around 6.3ish before i add it to aquariums. i added 2 tsp and pH reading was approx 7.4.

prober

AC Members
Dec 20, 2010
eastern Washington (the state)
Real Name
Jeff
Be sure to test the GH and KH as you do it. The KH will be most affected by baking soda.

I know you asked not to get responces about other methods so ignore this if you want to but to make your PH buffered at a certain level it would be better to add Seachem alkaline buffer and acid buffer so your buffering capacity would be raised, PH stabilised to prevent sudden swings without making your water too hard.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

P.S. If you have live plants they don't like baking soda so much.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store