Breeding Neolamprologus leleupi

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
I think a pair of my leleupi have started to spawn. This morning a female (I think) was cramming herself into a shell while the biggest dominant male was guarding her and the shell (no one was allowed near that corner). Now the female is fully in the shell. I was surprised because I figured being rock dwellers they'd prefer the THR in the tank (there is a ton of it). Is it normal for them to spawn in shells? Will they raise their own like multies? I didn't intend to breed these guys for a while longer, but it would be cool to have some of their fry.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
When i was breeding them they preferred a shell over rock i had Muffin shells that they loved to use but yep if there is shells that the female can fit in she will decide the shell each time just in my experience is all..

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
The parents should raise their own fry, although it may take them a couple spawns to get the hang of it. The pair I had raised their own fry well. The person I got the pair from had them spawning in a large conch shell. When I put them in a new tank with a large rock pile, they abandoned the shell and spawned on a rock at the bottom of the pile.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Congrats, Labby!

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Leleupi actually do best with a cave that the female can fit into but the male can't. The males have a rep for beating up of killing the females if they can't get away.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Thanks JB!

Good to know, I'm glad she's got a shell she can go into, there is no way the male can get in there (it's amazing how she crammed herself in there).

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
You can allow the parents to rear the fry but most will not survive but if you want to try to get a full batch from them then you will need to remove the fry still inside the shell before they become free swimming.. Place them inside a small tank with a seasoned sponge by themselves..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store