florecent bulbs that fit incondecent hoods!-check this out

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mack606

AC Members
Feb 15, 2004
Vancouver, Canada eh
Visit site

The above light you can find at most hardware stores and is perfect for hoods that are made for incondecent bulbs Usually 10g hoods. They fit a convention light bulb socket and are used more commonly to save power. I dont know how much is too much light and what spectrum of light they give off- but my tank looks great and my plant grows better than ever. I bought mine at Canadian Tire for $5 Can. each. They also last much much longer than incondecents.

BE CAREFUL TO GET THE RIGHT ONES!!!

you must get the ones that are small enough to fit without bending anything.

Don't get any with a wattage over 15w as it could be a much too bright or maybe even a fire hazard (although probably not)

The brand I have is called MINIMAX florecent spiral 13w

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I have been using these for a year now. Mine are actually 14 watts made by phillips. They do an adequate job of helping plants to grow, not as good as tubes though.

tomm10

Prodigal Son
Oct 15, 2003
Oxford, MA
www.tomwalkerportraits.com
I got a couple at Wal-Mart in the pet section. They were about the same price and wattage as the ones in the home section but were longer and skinnier rather than spiraled. They fit in the hood really well.

Tom

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I found some that were really small @ home depot, but they still give off 14watts, they fit really well into my incandesant hood.

JazzyB

The Boys on the Move!
Sep 20, 2003
Canada
Hey Mack!

Thanks for the tip!

Just got back from Crappy Tire... er... Canadian Tire and bought those lights. I bought the 9watt bulbs which were $14.99 for three. What a difference they made in my tank!! Much more brighter. It freaked out my silver dollars at first. Can't say I blame them. They went freaking nuts! Hahahaha. It was very funny at first. :D

The bulb I bought is made by Globe and are called teh EnerSaver. They are 9 watts but are equivalent to a 40 watt incandescent bulbs. The tank is much brighter!:)

Again, thanks for the tip!

JazzyB:cool:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store