co2 for idiots.....(erm well for me)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
i have just got a new 240 litre aquarium and have around 75 plants/ stem cuttings that are going to be put in there. I have been using fertilizer cones for about 6 months and they have made the whole tank look amazing.........why would i need Co2 in the new tank/ do I need it.

I have 6 goldfish going into the tank so the plants will have plenty of waste to feed off and they will get iron etc from the cones.

hmmmmm

thanks

Tony :hi:

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
co2 is a nutrient for plants. During the light cycle when plants are under sunlight they take in light and co2 and convert it to carbohydrates. These carbohydrates provide energy for the plant during the dark cycle.

If you don't have any algae issues and your plants are fine then you don't have to add any additional co2. Adding co2 will only increase the growth rate of your plants and make them more lush.

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
my lighting is the standard fluval roma bulbs Fluval GLO lighting, one of each 40watt PowerGlo & AquaGlo. The plants are mainly vallis and goldfish weed etc. I am not exactly sure what other plants are going in as they are coming from a company who send out plants that are perfect for goldfish, I have used them for years now and they are excellent quality etc. I have asked for plants that will be hardy and goldfish proof. So i wont need co2 then?

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
how do i go about getting it...... if i should wish for it?

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
thankyou very much! i doubt i will go for it. The tank is perfectly positioned to make sure the plants get plenty of natural night anyway. No harm in expanding my knowledge though. Just watching my fish destroy some sweet potato :eek:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store