Flourish excel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Derf

AC Members
Jan 2, 2011
Just bought this stuff for the first time the other day. The directions state that after the first treatment it should be used daily or every other day. It also states that this may be increased in heavily planted aquariums. This seems like this may be overkill. Does anyone have expierence using this stuff and if so what dosages do you use? Thanks in advance.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I wouldn't say it's overkill...carbon is a well needed nutrient for plants.

My only experience using it on a long term basis was on a very low light tank. I didn't really follow a set schedule and just dosed whenever I felt like it.

What's your setup like?

Derf

AC Members
Jan 2, 2011
The tank I have now is a 46 gal bow. It is only a couple of weeks old so I am just getting started with it. It replaced a 29 gal that I had set up for about 20 years. It started leaking so I figured it was time to get another tank. The plants (mostly swords) seem to be growing fine. I just happened to see the Flourish in the store and thought I would give it a try. Never used anything before since all plants seemed to do ok in the established tank. Thought that it may help in a new tank. Even though the instructions say add a capful daily or every other day, it just seems like a lot to be adding to the water.

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
From what I gather, it loses its effectiveness after a 24 hour period, so that's the reason for dosing on an every day basis. In higher concentrations, excel has been noted to be an effective algaecide also.

I've heard that with consistent higher dosing that inverts and even fish can be affected, I've never seen it happen though, but I follow the dosing directions.

bsmith

AC Members
May 29, 2007
STL
From what I gather, it loses its effectiveness after a 24 hour period, so that's the reason for dosing on an every day basis. In higher concentrations, excel has been noted to be an effective algaecide also.

I've heard that with consistent higher dosing that inverts and even fish can be affected, I've never seen it happen though, but I follow the dosing directions.
Bingo.

Actually about 12 hours its about all broken down. It's great stuff but by no means a replacement for a proper co2 system. Not only will it get quite costly over the long run but your plants will not do as well.

When dosed too heavily, ecxel is about one of the worst thinks for a tank. This would have to be a triple or even a 4x's od but still not only can it kill your fish and other livestock but it can wipe out your entire biological filtration causing the tank to recycle. So if the first big hit of excel didn't kill the livestock then the ammonia will. But when dosed as directed or even up to twice that amount (with good circulation) your tank will be great.

The best use for excel IMO is for spot treating algae like BBA. To do this you just need a syringe. Turn off the filter or other circulating devices, spot treat spraying the effected areas directly (I used two times the recommended dose for a tank the size of the one I was treating) and leaving the filter off for an hour. A couple days of this and you'll be algae free.

prober

AC Members
Dec 20, 2010
eastern Washington (the state)
Real Name
Jeff
If you do not use a full spectrum fert such as Flourish then flourish excel will not make all that much difference. I used it by itself for about a week and my plants looked about the same. Once I added the comprehensive flourish they started picking up and they all started pearling.

It can also "melt" some plants such as crypts and vals and my hornwart was definately stunted by it, although it is recovering now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store