what kind of fish is this

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dawnmdoe

Registered Member
Jan 4, 2011
i am a realtor found him in vacant home, in a tank with a ton of dead fish. had him about a week, seems happy, active, but never seen him eat. tried tetra flakes, cichlid gold,and blood worms. people at pet store not sure what he is by pic, thought a cichlid. pics attached

fish 017.jpg fish 016.jpg fish 015.jpg fish 014.jpg

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
not sure but what size thank is he in..it looks tiny.

dawnmdoe

Registered Member
Jan 4, 2011
oops, some of the pics are from a tank i had to put him in till i could buy the 10 gallon tank

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
might want to wait an ID him first before getting a tank he might need something bigger....infact i can guarantee he will need bigger

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
looks to be a victorian cichlid of sorts. they are called that because they originate from lake victoria in africa. i'm sorry i can't help you with the exact species. definitely will need a bigger tank if you intend to keep him. i'd say a 55 gallon and then you could have tankmates too, but be sure to have only other lake victorian cichlids and match the size and temperament to this big guy/gal.

chris521957

AC Members
Nov 6, 2010
Preston, Lancs
Real Name
Chris
Copadichromis Borleyi. Malawi cichlid. It will grow to about 6". Quite mild tempered for a cichlid. Try some NLS cichlid food, DONT feed with bloodworm, this could cause bloat, which can be fatal. It is a grazer and will prefer algae based foods.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
Copadichromis Borleyi. Malawi cichlid. It will grow to about 6". Quite mild tempered for a cichlid. Try some NLS cichlid food, DONT feed with bloodworm, this could cause bloat, which can be fatal. It is a grazer and will prefer algae based foods.
+1 it looks kinda lie one of my female borleyi unless its just a really stressed male.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I agree as well. The last picture gives it away. At that size I would say female.

A 10 gallon is way too small for this fish. You really need a 55 gallon so she can be kept with more malawis.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store