Convinced - Time for Pressurized Co2. Need some assembly help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rescue Ranger

AC Members
Nov 7, 2008
Hello all!

I've done a lot of reading on this planted tank forum, and the knowledge on this site is incredibly useful. From many existing threads, I was able to acquire several items planning for my planted tank. I've recently decided to avoid DIY Co2 and move into a pressurized setup.

Quick Background
  • 55 Gallon Tank
  • AH Supply 55x2 6700k Light
  • Aquariumplants.com substrate mixed with fine gravel
  • Penn Plax Canister filter (made for a 150G tank.. lots of filtration!)
Here's my setup plan, from Co2 Tank to Fishie Tank. What Am I missing? What could I improve? Goal: Cost effective. I'm not willing to spend $80 on an Ideal needle valve ;)

• 20lb Co2 Tank
  • AZOO Regulator
  • Solenoid
    • Rex Griggs has one - any others you'd recommend?
  • Check Valve
  • Needle Valve
    • FabCo (Rex Griggs)
    • Do I run this attached to regulator or in-line? Whats the difference?
  • Bubble Counter
    • Looking for suggestions - I see a thread already exists on "Which Bubble Counter are You Using" I'll keep an eye on that.
  • Reactor
    • Rex has an awesome looking DIY reactor. My question is, does this reactor also diffuse Co2 into the water? I'm guessing that the canister filter feeds into the reactor, the Co2 goes into the reactor, and the water goes out of the top charged with Co2 then goes into the spray bar.
    • http://www.bestaquariumregulator.com/CO2.html#reactor
So, the order of this system is tank - regulator/solenoid - needle valve - check valve - bubble counter - reactor - tank

Am I right on this? I look forward to all your input!!

-Jeff

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
  • 20lb Co2 Tank Where will you be able to fit that??????? If you can find one cheap and it fits where you want to put it then go for it. otherwise i'd stick with a 10#. will last about 1 year or more. and they will usually fit under most stands.
  • AZOO Regulator
    • (http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...&N=2004+113779) First, that has a solenoid and needle valve and in theory you dont need the things you listed below. Second, dont cheap out n a cheap regulator and solenoid and needle valve. It will be the bigest regret you can find. Get a dual stage regulator as it is the most important piece of your setup. It will cost some money but it is worth it. (self promotion, i might have a 2 stage regulator for sale in about 4 days)
  • Solenoid
    • Rex Griggs has one - any others you'd recommend? Burkert, fabco....anything but Clippard (self promotion, i might have solenoid for sale in about 4 days)
  • Check Valve Clippard ones are great ((self promotion, i have one for sale)
  • Needle Valve
    • FabCo (Rex Griggs)
    • Do I run this attached to regulator or in-line? Whats the difference? Run this inline as the connectors used for these are small and can break under pressure. (i'll have a few of these in a day or two....more self promotion)
  • Bubble Counter
    • Looking for suggestions - I see a thread already exists on "Which Bubble Counter are You Using" I'll keep an eye on that.
  • Reactor
    • Rex has an awesome looking DIY reactor. My question is, does this reactor also diffuse Co2 into the water? By definition, a reactor diffuses co2 into the water. I'm guessing that the canister filter feeds into the reactor, the Co2 goes into the reactor, and the water goes out of the top charged with Co2 then goes into the spray bar.You can also run the co2 into the inlet of the canister, some say that the co2 degrades the seals over time
    • http://www.bestaquariumregulator.com/CO2.html#reactor
Here is some of my opinions about co2. Most importantly, don't cheap out on the regulator. Good quality parts after a cheap regulator dont make a cheap regulator good. There are a lot of great vendors out there for parts and supplies, but i just had to throw in all my shameless plugs ;)

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
I'd just pay the extra and get a well made regulator setup. It might be cheaper getting pieces here and there but you'd probably make up the cost in time and shipping costs. Try to find a tank locally, craigslist , welding supply, or homebrew places are good places to look.

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
I'd just pay the extra and get a well made regulator setup. It might be cheaper getting pieces here and there but you'd probably make up the cost in time and shipping costs.
I disagree. I got a victor regulator (ebay 99cents + shipping) clippard solinoid, fabco needle valve for way under 100 dollars including shipping costs. It took me maybe 20 min to put together. If i were to buy this already put together it would have cost me at least 200 or 300 dollars more. The regulator itself brand new is 400 dollars.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Let's start with saying Rex hasn't been in touch lately so you can probably scratch that source off your list. If he's back or up and around, a lot of people would like to know. And not in a bad way. He is or was a great source of parts, dry ferts and a figurative slap to the head of stupid people. The CO2 reactor he shows people how to build is so popular that it is usually nick named after him even though he didn't develop it.

I your first CO2 regulator set be a commercial off the shelf unit with a warranty. Quite often under a $100.00 for everything except the diffuser and gas cylinder. Assemble your next one after you see how it all fits together. Or read a LOT of posts on acquiring and assembling parts. This one is $80.00 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/AQUATEK-Regul...LM7G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294285317&sr=8-1

The problem that I have with CO2 parts is there are so many different sizes of connecting hardware. Clippard usually comes with 10-32 threads. Others use 1/8" NPT, 1/4" NPT, and imports are metric. Worse, some of the NPT bits are tapered while others are straight. They don't fit together. It's really easy to spend more on parts and adapters than a good finished package.

Good luck and have fun with healthier plants, what ever way you go.

Rescue Ranger

AC Members
Nov 7, 2008
Let's start with saying Rex hasn't been in touch lately so you can probably scratch that source off your list. If he's back or up and around, a lot of people would like to know. And not in a bad way. He is or was a great source of parts, dry ferts and a figurative slap to the head of stupid people. The CO2 reactor he shows people how to build is so popular that it is usually nick named after him even though he didn't develop it.

I your first CO2 regulator set be a commercial off the shelf unit with a warranty. Quite often under a $100.00 for everything except the diffuser and gas cylinder. Assemble your next one after you see how it all fits together. Or read a LOT of posts on acquiring and assembling parts. This one is $80.00 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/AQUATEK-Regul...LM7G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294285317&sr=8-1

The problem that I have with CO2 parts is there are so many different sizes of connecting hardware. Clippard usually comes with 10-32 threads. Others use 1/8" NPT, 1/4" NPT, and imports are metric. Worse, some of the NPT bits are tapered while others are straight. They don't fit together. It's really easy to spend more on parts and adapters than a good finished package.

Good luck and have fun with healthier plants, what ever way you go.

THanks for the informative post. While I agree that spending money once is wise, I'm not 100% hardcore into this yet, so I don't want to drop $400+ on something I'm just getting into.

This looks like it'll work - I can try that DIY diffuser, and pair that with a tank.

This unit seems to come with the regulator, solenoid, valve, and bubble counter. Not bad. I'll probably get flamed for considering this package..

The DIY Reactor on Grigg's site: Does the water go in the bottom and out the top? Does it plug into the intake tube or exit tube?

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
meh in all fairness i went that route first but i regret it later. I'm just trying to help you not make the same mistake i did.

here is a great DIY thread on building one. Leftc is very helpful and does a great job dumbing it down for people like me http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/6470-Dual-Stage-Regulators?p=44297#post44297

these are all the parts you would need. He also has variations with different parts.

Rescue Ranger

AC Members
Nov 7, 2008
meh in all fairness i went that route first but i regret it later. I'm just trying to help you not make the same mistake i did.

here is a great DIY thread on building one. Leftc is very helpful and does a great job dumbing it down for people like me http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/6470-Dual-Stage-Regulators?p=44297#post44297

these are all the parts you would need. He also has variations with different parts.
Thanks - I'll read that link right now :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store