next step in supplimenting my planted tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bluemeate

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
I have a 55gal thats been having pretty slow growth and most my plant leaves are very thin and pale yellow

i have very very hard water (kh was over 300), ph out the tap at about 8

low lighting of 2 t8 bulbs
regular pea gravel substrate with root tabs
no c02
moderately stocked tank

plants:
Micro Sword (Lilaeopsis brasiliensis)
Anacharis
an amazon sword (nice thick and green)
wendtii
and a bit of java moss spread around the tank that doesnt look like its growing at alll
had Ludwigia ovalis, but it died

should i at all consider adding like iron or any other cheap suppliments? Id like to try some of those bottled suppliments but i was given the idea that they end up being expensive to get dramatic results? would only using low amounts make any decent changes? cuase you know, even a little is usually ALOT better than nothing at all

...or should my next step simply be just upgrding the substrate

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
do you know what your nitrate level is?

yellow leaves is usually a nitrogen deficiency. You could dose ferts the EI method is the one i do.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136668 this is the cheapest method.

Also a suggestion. If you want to have faster growth why not try co2. This helps a lot.

bluemeate

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
i have it written down at home but as far as i recall my nitrates have been reallly reallly low and just wont go up

also i only do like a 20% water change bout every month or so

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
You could dose ferts the EI method is the one i do.
That would FOR sure kill his Anacharis.

If you really want an easy planted tank then KEEP those types of plants (easy) Micro Sword, wendtii, Ludwigia are not the easiest of plants WITH the lighting you have.

Now you say you have 2 t8 bulbs, but do you know the K? Try the ge brand you can get at WalMart (I think it is called Daylight) I am almost sure you have 12,000K in those hoods.

Now plants I would recommend.
Java Fern
Anubias
Vals
Anacharis (which you already have) All of these can be fun.
Also Java Moss goes very very slowly.

Now if you want a wider range of plant options then an upgrade to Co2 is going to be a requirement and I would drop the substate and change it to something else (playsand or PFS)

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
I agree with Jason, the ovalis is probably to demanding for your light. Lots of stem plants are tough to grow under low light. You have 2 choices, the cheap way is to just research your plants and stay in the medium to low light plants. The expensive way is to replace your lighting with something High Output and buy co2 and plant whatever you want. This will also lead to lots of pruning and possible algae issues.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store