Need Your Advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Michigan - Indiana Border
Real Name
Russ
Hey guys, I posed this question on another site. Wanted to see what you guys think....

I want these two comps to breed.

Altolamprologus compressiceps Muzi gold head

Right now, they have no interest. They hang out together but don't get romantic. They are housed in a 55 gallon tank with 6 calvus (the calvus spawn all the time). Somebody suggested I move the comps to their own tank, hence my question.... I would like to put these two gold head comps into a 30 gallon tank which currently has 35 F1 orange fin comp fry in it (which are approx. 1.50" to 1.75" each).

Do you think I could put these 35 orange fin comp fry into my 55 gallon calvus fry tank? Right now there is, roughly, 150 calvus fry in the tank (which range in size from 1.0" to 1.5"). The two species are very easy to tell apart so that would not be a problem. Would their be any conspecific aggression between the comp and clavus fry at this size? The sheer number of fry in the tank should diffuse aggression problems, right?
More info: the 150 calvus fry will be shipped out within a couple months. Probably the same for the 35 orange fin comp fry (maybe sooner). So, they would be housed together for maybe two months at the most.

Here's a couple pics of the calvus fry in the 55 (I think there is easily room for 35 more fry):

Here's the 30 gallon tank with the orange fin comp fry in it

Thanks,
Russ

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I don't think there would be any problems with both fry species being together for just 2 months. With 35 newcomers, aggression can be diffused very well, IMO. Also, the overstocking may help for this purpose.

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Real Name
Russ
I don't think there would be any problems with both fry species being together for just 2 months. With 35 newcomers, aggression can be diffused very well, IMO. Also, the overstocking may help for this purpose.
Give me the fry, problem solved. =)

Those are beautiful fish by the way, I think they should be fine with that many fish and the sizes are pretty similar. Aggression usually happens with few numbers.
Thanks for the advice guys - I appreciate it.

brad, the calvus fry (the entire group are pre sold); however, those awesome looking F1 orange fin comp fry :naughty: will be "going up for sale" soon. I see you live in Chicagoland which is relatively close ;)

I travel to Lake County (IN) for work sometimes.

Mr.peacock

AC Members
Aug 31, 2009
hay razzo shoot me a message on how much u would wont for all of thim and size maby we can do something on them if u want

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Place them in the 30gal by themselves, i would dump the decorations and get some Calvus caves..

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Real Name
Russ
Picture crazy

Please forgive me for all the pics guys. Just having fun with my new DSLR (which I love). In a couple weeks my new DSLR is going to go to college in Florida with my little girl. Sniff, sniff.

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Real Name
Russ
In a 30 gallon tank with a pair of comps, what would you guys suggest for a dither fish:

1) Zebra daniels
2) Cyps
3) ???
4) ???

Pitt & Mr. Peacock, do you guys have any fish for trade/or for sale that might fill that role.

Pitt, I am also interested in your julie & lelupi fry too. I might have a road trip to Indy soon (Monday/Tuesday) to possibly deliver some orange fin comps. Before selling that large group of calvus fry, you and I have been talking trade for a long time. I think, I could justifyably pull out a few calvus for you and honor both agreements. Our trade plans preceeded that sale so I am OK with it. Let me know what you and your bro think.

Russ

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store