zoas, anyone seen this problem b4?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dionysus

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Wisconsin
Hey guys, wonderin if any1 has seen this b4. A few months ago, I rearranged my reef, n I accidently covered a portion of my fiji super orange polyps. They were covered for bout. 3 weeks b4 I noticed them a portion of them smooshed under a rock. I moved them out into the light, but noticed the portion that was under the rock was covered in this pink slime, must b due to damage to the colony.
A couple polyps hav popped out of it, but still a lot of pink slime left, even after 2 months. I did my best to get a clp pics to show, but having problems uploading with my phone, will try n get sum posted.
Does this sound polyp slime familier to any of u guys? Should I try n remove the slime, or is it part of a healing process?

Any comments or thought would b appreciated, thanks guys

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Is it actually slimy, or could it be something like a pink sponge?
A couple good pix of it would be great, but in the meantime, could you describe it a little more?

Dionysus

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Wisconsin
Still won't let me find the pic...always worked on my computer, but its broke, so using my droid..will figure it out when i hav a lil time 2day.

So gonna describe a lil better...it almost looks like a pink sponge covering the portion of polyp colony that had the piece of live rock sitting on it. Some small polyps hav grown thru the mystery pink stuff and opened, but only like 3 of them. When I first took the rock off the polyps & saw the pink stuff, thought it would disappear within a week or 2. But its still there (for bout 7-8weeks), not spreading, but my super orange polyps aren't spreading either.
God, if only I could just upload a pic, would b so much easier lol...

Assuming this pink stuff is due to damage to polyps, or lack of light. Its kinda like pink matt covering where polyps used to be , lil fuzzy lookin, feels slimy...not thinkin its any type of algae, but is kinda jelly like....maybe a protective coating the colony formed ovr stressed polyps?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
All corals slime up when stressed but being under a rock it very well could be a sponge in which case the zoas will probably not fair well over time. Sponges tend to smother them. Was theye more of this pink slime on the bottom of the rock you moved the zoas out from under? If so my bet is that it is a sponge and if you like these zoas you probably want to frag at least some of them off and place somewhere else. The other option 9if it's a sponge) would be to take the rock out of the water for a few minutes. The air should kill the sponge and the zoas will be fine out of the water for a few minutes.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Don't shoot the messenger but the link didn't work. The best site I've found for pics is photobucket. Takes a few seconds to register (free) and allows you to post images

Dionysus

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Wisconsin
Really? Well, ill try the photobucket then...thanks for the heads up on my link not working, will get another link posted ina bit

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store