Issues with Eshopps

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Formerly ExPeNsIvE AdDiCtIoN on MFK
Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
Hello all! Hope you are having a wonderful new year!

Well let's get right into it...

I have an Eshopps PF-1800 that my wonderful wifey bought me for Christmas. It is rated for a maximum flow of 1600gph. Being that I plan to use a pump rated at 1920gph at zero head, and 1300gph at 6ft of head, I figure I have paired them up just fine staying about 300gph below max flow.

Well with that said, i do not have the 1920gph pump installed, rather a temporary test pump somewhere in the neighborhood of 900gph.

With that smaller pump running I figure the overflow should be able to handle it no problem. Wrong! I don't know what's wrong but no matter how far down I put the skimmer box in the water, the display tank level is still too high, and the sump return chamber is too low.

Why won't this overflow handle even a measly 900gph?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Does it have both siphon tubes and are they both full of water with all air bubbles purged out of them?

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
Yup, no air in either one, and the plumbing runs straight down 18" to a 90° elbow, then 12" to the center of the drip tower, then another 90° elbow to keep splash down.

I know there should be less right angles, but the down tubes aren't even at capacity.

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
Here are some pictures to better help describe the situation/setup.

And before I get flamed for it, the ball valves on the overflow to the sump is not to regulate flow in anyway, they are simply there as a maintenance shutoff to be able to remove the sump without waiting for the tank to level off.

1c8ac710.jpg 011929fd.jpg 77b69cbf.jpg

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I'm a little confused, unless I'm not seeing things right in the pix... Are the ends of the U-tubes under the water level in the back of the overflow box? They should be at all times, even when the return pump isn't running, to prevent air from breaking the siphon.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Interesting. I know my Eshopps setup, which is rated for 300gph, handles at least that much. But I use 45 degree angles instead. Can you take a pic or even a vid of everything, including the display water level while everything is in motion?

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
You may want to try placing an air hose part way down the inside of the drain tubes to prevent an air lock. I put one in and then gradually drop it until I no longer hear the heavy gurgle. It allows more air to travel with the water. I do this on all my overflows and not just Eshopps. I have an Eshopps 1200 and I run it at 900gph.

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
Ya, I could try 2 45° fittings but doubt it would do much as sharp as it needs to turn. Everything is set up "correct" as far as it maintains syphon etc, but doesn't seem to flow enuff. I'm baffled

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
So is the backside of the overflow box filling up and it can't drain fast enough or is the front side of the box overfilling and spilling over the tank?

If it is the backside filling up, that is your drain/PVC that is a problem. If it is the front side not draining fast enough it is a problem with the U tube, most likely a restriction somehow (U tube too close to bottom of overflow box or air bubble at top of tube being 2 most common).

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
Unfortunately the problem seems to go against all normal symptoms.

The skimmer box has been lowered all the way, to the point where it is completely submerged, instead of flowing thru the teeth.

The backside situation is: it flows or looks like it flows normal. The center section is filled completely, and the two sides are semi filled but always balanced out as it flows out fast.

It almost seems as if the utubes can't keep up. I'm confused. Could it have come with the wrong size? I heard they are supposed to come with one large one instead of two smaller ones. Was this why?

I have contacted eshopps about it but no reply yet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store