LFS told me not to get Damsels.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wrek

AC Members
Dec 20, 2010
Why? He said they were nasty little things and would terrify everything in the tank. Really? Even yellow tail?

I had read you can add them last... I'm to the point I'm ready to add my last fish and I wanted a couple little damsels.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
I wouldn't. I wouldn't even carry them at the fish shop I was running. They are very aggressive and many get pretty big, lose color, and end up as big, ugly, aggressive PITAs that you end up taking all the rock out of your tank just to get that one damsel back out. They are NOT worth it. I also wouldn't do any clownfish except for occelaris or percula for the same reasons. Even one of the safest damsels, the azure, ended up tearing up my clown. Unless you have a predator tank don't do it.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
A Chromis is more like a cousin of the common mean damsels, just llike a clownfish.

The Blue Green Reef Chromis is easy to care for, beautiful, and peaceful. In fact, Chromis viridis is one of the preferred marine reef fish amongst aquarists, regardless of their experience level. This member of the Pomacentridae family is most recognizable by its gorgeous light blue dorsal side that slowly fades into a majestic pale green belly. The Blue Green Reef Chromis is desirable not only for its beauty, but also for its peaceful demeanor (despite its designation as a true damselfish) and ability to be kept with almost all other community fish, invertebrates, and corals.

melissadotson

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
parkersburg wv
iv'e had damnsels in my tank before..and your right if ya add them last they do better..they still get aggressive but the other tank mates pretty much won't take they bullying so they will stand they're grownd with them..

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
If you like damsels, then get them. Just be mindful of what tank mates you put in with them. Personally, I like them and find them to be very entertaining and interesting to watch. They do much better in larger tanks and seem to be most aggressive in the confines of smaller aquaria.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Common damsels are very pretty and usually inexpensive. Then they eat and start growing. And growing. And growing and turning drab and getting more and more aggressive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store