trying to get away without having to buy a $100 light fixture

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dereks

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
I have some plants in my aquarium that supposedly require medium light. I had a fixture with two 18 watt bulbs on it and my plants went nuts with it on there. The fixture is no longer with us and so I stuck the generic 17 watt back on the for the time being. It's a 29 gallon tank and i was wondering if maybe I could get away with dosing carbon supplements and using a 6700k bulb in there to avoid having to buy a new fixture. In my experience the carbon seems to do better than the perceived benefit of extra lighting. Think I can get away with it as long as I dose the exel?

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
lighting and co2 (or liquid carbon) work hand in hand, along with ferts. Having a steady supply of co2 and ferts will maximize whatever light intensity you are working with, but it doesn't replace or supplement for the light intensity.

If the plants are doing well with the generic light then rock on with it. just my 2c

dereks

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
Oh I will if it works! Just wondering if you guys think it will. What's your experience? Ever grown plants using less that the recommended lighting? 17 watts isn't very much, plus last time I threw that fixture on there I got algae so thats why I'm gonna hunt down the 6700k bulb.

dereks

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
If I can't find the 6700k bulb in the aquarium store can anybody tell me what specs to look for at a hardware store or another lighting center. I'm guessing they won't be marked as clearly as the bulbs in the aquarium store, how will they be marked, what numbers or range of numbers will be acceptable for my purpose of growing aquatic plants?

Thanks for all your help

Last edited:

dereks

AC Members
Mar 7, 2006
cool, so if I can't find the 6700k plant bulb in the aquarium store will the be marked the same in the hardware store (XXXX k) ? or will I need t look at other specs onthe bulb to tell if I'm buying the correct spectrum ? Do you know if the excel will help prevent algae?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store