Hair Algae Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
I did search the post here and found some of my answers but not 100%

Now as some might remember I ran out of Co2 (pressurized) before Christmas, so before the holidays I got it refilled. Well 2 days later it was empty, but I think I know what I did wrg. I won't be able to get to the store until monday to get it refilled and I have an outbreak of hair Algae.

Now I have Vals BIG BEAUTIFUL vals that have H.A. on them and some of my java ferns as well. Other than excell (which I can't use) and other than a toothbrush is there anything else I can do to get rid of it until I get the Co2 in there? Also I think I over did it a little on the Ferts, doesnt H.A. thrive when there is an abundance of P.? If so can I do some water changes and get a Potassium remover?

DGC

All in One
May 8, 2010
London
Real Name
Darrell
I have read several post on here that states blackout don't work for this form of algae though.
It may not cure it but it will probably keep it growth stunted until co2 arrives, you could alwas hook up a diy co2 until your tank arives.

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
hair algae and co2?
do you mean BGA? or actual hair algae?

It looks like hair attached to my plants..mainly my vals but during a closer inspection I noticed it on the java ferns as well.

Co2 is down right now like yours..Mine has been down for 2 weeks and hopefully Monday I can get to the shop for a refill.

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
It looks like hair attached to my plants..mainly my vals but during a closer inspection I noticed it on the java ferns as well.

Co2 is down right now like yours..Mine has been down for 2 weeks and hopefully Monday I can get to the shop for a refill.

What happened with the regulator if you don't mind me asking?

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
What happened with the regulator if you don't mind me asking?
Regulator is fine but I had another leak which I think was my fault. I did not open the black knob (on the regulator) all the way. I turned it just enough to make the hissing sound go away, so I think it escaped but I just didnt hear it.

Now I know OPEN the black knob on the reg all the way and then turn the knob on the cylinder slowly (needle valve closed) until completely open. DUMB ME

Sigrid

AC Members
Jan 8, 2011
both hands in fish tank
Real Name
Bristlenose
I get bundles of hair algae in my tanks once in a while. With my long handled Eheim grabber tool I go after it and pull it out gently. Then things go fine for a while again. Apparently there are too nutrients in the water, and that makes the hair algae happy.
Sigrid

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store