HC in 20 gal long

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chaosbearer

AC Members
Jan 7, 2011
I'd like to attempt a 20 gal long tank with some plants. The one plant I know I want in there is some HC. I see a lot of posts stating that it requires a lot of light but then if you get T5HO, you don't use the wpg anymore. I was thinking of getting the AquaticLife T5HO dual fixture 30" 48W Freshwater from Foster and Smith. http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+13822+22134&pcatid=22134 Would this be good for HC or should I get a different light setup?

I have heard that the HC also needs co2, so I'm going to be looking into pressurized systems for that.

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
i have some HC right now and it's a PITA.

From everything i've researched co2 is much more important for HC than light is. Tom Barr reported that he grew HC in 50 par lighting which is in the low light spectrum. If you end up getting that fixture i would hang it 10 inches above your tank otherwise you will have way too much light.

remember light drives nutrient uptake for plants so the higher the light the more demands the plant has. This fixture on top of a 20 long would be nearly impossible to provide enough co2 for the plants to utilize all that light and therefor you will have tons of algae and have a long difficult battle on your hands.

I made this mistake with almost the same fixture and had lots of problems with HC.

I would suggest using 1 T5HO bulb 4 inches above your tank for 8 hours a day with pressurized co2. Keep that drop checker lime green. If you don't have your co2 system set up i would take that 1 light fixture and raise it 12 inches above your tank to give you low lighting. With the lower light nutrient demand and growth will be slower and your HC will still grow just slower.
Also with low light you have more room for error. It's much easier to get it right from the beginning than have a long fight with algae.

It is possible to grow HC without co2 but again you just need to have really low lighting.

Last edited:

chaosbearer

AC Members
Jan 7, 2011
Thank you for the information.

So would it work by removing one of the bulbs in that kit or should I just purchase a cheaper one somewhere else?

I don't have a co2 system yet. I'm going to read up (& save up) before I purchase one.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Definitely needs more then light. I tried it in my 40g with a 3' dual bulb T5HO. It was only under about 4-5" of water since I was trying to get it to blanket the rock pile so it may have actually got too much light. It didn't die off, but it did thin out a lot and pieces were constantly breaking off and getting stuck in the filter. Growth rate was extremely slow and not able to keep up with what kept getting broken off. In the end I took it out, half the size as when it started and more of a tan/dull green color rather then the original bright green.

chaosbearer

AC Members
Jan 7, 2011
I'm not exactly sure. I'm still reading up on CO2 and found some interesting things on using paintball CO2. But I'm not sure if I'm ready for that kind of costs yet. I've also been looking into some other plants that create a nice carpet but are less demanding. Lighting seems to be more complicated than I thought. CO2 seems pretty straight forward, DIY or pressurized.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
HM is not as demanding & kept clipped short might be worth a try. Mine was quite nice until my BN plec accidentally uprooted it. It stayed short on eco with 96w T-8 over a 75g even without snipping.

chaosbearer

AC Members
Jan 7, 2011
Thank you for the suggestion. I had come across that one but wasn't sure. I might give it a try as well as the HC. But that's still a ways off. Need to purchase the other equipment as I just have the tank at the moment.

Again, thanks for the help and suggestions!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store