Heard about the aquatic plant ban in Texas? Your state next?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bobalston

AC Members
Apr 2, 2003
Tulsa, OK
Visit site
Have you heard about the new legislation (passed legislation!) in Texas whereby a "white list" of approved aquatic plants is being developed by the Texas Department of Parks and Wildlife. By January 27, 2011, any one who possesses ANY aquatic plant not on the list will be subject of a fine of $500 per plant.

Any plant that the TPWD did not even consider and so could not possibly be on the white list becoms immediately banned.

New plants must be submitted to the TPWD for evaluation before anyone in Texas can legally possess them.

Read more about this at this thread:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...-forwarded-aquatic-gardeners-association.html

Public aquariums, wastewater treatment plants, research institutions and a couple of others can apply for permits to possess selected banned plants. There is no provision to allow "exotic plant" permits (for otherwise banned plants) to private individuals.

Specifically banned plants include (among others):
C. Wentdii
C. Becketti
Rotala indica

I am writing about this action here as Texas is one of the "trend setters" in new attempts to control the spread of invasive plants. Your state is undoubtedly watching what happens in Texas. You will likely be next!

Bob :irked:

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Your state is undoubtedly watching what happens in Texas. You will likely be next!
Hope they don't push for that here. Would be a bit of a waste of resources. We replaced those boring native species with invasive ones long ago down here. No need to protect against them now. :rolleyes:

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Formerly ExPeNsIvE AdDiCtIoN on MFK
Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
Wow, just another example of legislators with nothing better to do. Hey let's ban types of dirt next huh? You never know when aquarium gravel will take over the native Eco system:screwy:

Frogmanx82

AC Members
Dec 31, 2009
If pet owners hadn't been so careless over the years we wouldn't be seeing these types of regulations. It only takes one irresponsible person to wreck an ecosystem. I'm not surprised we're seeing this, sadly the snakes are already out of the pen.

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Formerly ExPeNsIvE AdDiCtIoN on MFK
Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
Ya it's true, people make their own laws, but unfortunately it's not the majority that screws things up. I'm sure anyone that is into the hobby enuf to even be a member of a forum or even multiple forums, isn't irresponsible enuf to do those sort of things. I've never released a fish. Last time I got rid of one I had to call about 20 different shops and finally had to drive about 4 hours to rehome the fish.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
If more states pass this kind of legislation it will be the end of the aquarium plant hobby.

DJDrZ

AC Members
Jul 31, 2010
Collegeville, PA
Folks, there is a banned list of garden plants, saltwater plants, etc, not to mention fauna The problem is not the majority of tank owners, its the doofi who just through stuff in the local pond, etc. As people in Chicago about Carp, people in Maryland about Snakeheads, anyone in the Med about Caulerpa. Invasive non-native species are a serious ecological problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store