Suggested Fish for a 90g reef

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nynikki

"Would you like to play a game?"
Aug 7, 2007
Phoenix
I know you have all seen these a hundred times, but I'm upgrading from a 30g to a 90g. I've purchased an established reef tank which I will begin meticulously moving tomorrow morning. I would really like to aim for a more peaceful tank if possible. Some of my favorite fish are Jaw Fish and I would love a Green Mandarin and perhaps a Midas Blenny, but I would also like a few larger fish since I mean... I just went so much bigger! I'm looking to find larger reef safe fish that will thrive in a 90g community. I don't mean huge mind you, just bigger than my clowns. What advice can you offer?

I was thinking maybe a Powder Blue Tang? Does anyone have any advice about these? Otherwise, maybe a Blue Hippo, and Yellow Tang. I'm also considering a Lamarck's Angel - a male would be awesome! Somehow I need to find a riddish colored fish to add to this mix.

My current stock (30g) are a pair of clowns, Watchmen Goby, Neon Blue Damsel, peppermint shrimp, emerald crab, red banded snails and hermit crabs. I'm pretty attached to my clowns and Watchmen, I'll keep my little blue guy just because :)

In the 90g are a pair of Tomato Clowns, Stripped Damsels, Domino Damsels, more Blue Neons and I think a couple of Pajama Cardinals. Except for the Cardinals, I think all of the current 90g fish I will have to trade in. I was hoping that maybe I could hold onto one or both of the stripped damsels, but I've heard that the Dominos can be pretty aggressive and the stripped damsels aren't much more friendly.

Thanks for the advice in advance!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
If it were me none of the fish in the 90 would stay. About the only tangs I would recommend for a 90 is a yellow eye kole or a scopas. The koles have great personality BTW. Yellow maybe but I think you will eventually need to move it out due to size. The powder blue and hippo have no business in a 90. Tangs need a lot of room to swim and these two get large and are probably the most ich prone fish in the hobby.

The Lamarcks or Watanabe angels would be a great choice as well as the midas, dragonet, jawfish. Throw in a flame angel or flame hawk (red) and you have a great stock list IMO. Dwarf angels can nip corals so there is a risk and hawkfish can eat decorative shrimp.

Last edited:

nynikki

Aug 7, 2007
Phoenix
Thanks Greech, this is really great advice in getting to me what I'm trying to achieve with this tank. I've short listed a few tangs that include the two you mentioned which give me hope that I'm headed in the right direction :) - but what I'm learning now is that many tangs can not be housed together with other tangs. I would like to get maybe two (three would be pushing it I think) to add from the list below. Does anyone have advice about which ones will live well together? <br><br>Mimic Half black tang<br>Two Spot Bristletooth Tang<br>Bristletooth Tomini Tang <br>Scopas Tang<br>Kole Yellow Eye Tang<br>Foxface Rabbit Fish<br><br>Current stock a pair of clowns, yellow watchmen goby, two pajama cardinals, shrimp, crabs, snails. I would like to add a Lemarks Angel to this stock and two from the list above. <br>

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I would only go with 1 tang, and that one tang being from the bristletooth family for a 90G tank. If you want a second large fish I would recommend the foxface or other rabbit fish for best success with getting along with the tang. Putting 2 tangs of any type in a 90 is pretty much asking for issues IMO.

As for the Angels, the Lemarck's or Bellus are the 2 "larger" angels that I have found to be the most peaceful, much more peaceful than most of the dwarf angels even. Problem with both of those is, they both require a minimum of a 125G tank so I do not think they are acceptable fish to put in a 90G, especially with something like a tang as it will start to feel really crowded to the fish real quickly and will more than likely lead to aggression issues that you normally wouldn't see if they were housed in tanks appropriate for them.

nynikki

Aug 7, 2007
Phoenix
Thanks for the advice! I think I'm settled on a Two Spot Bristletooth and a Foxface Rabbit. I may pick up the Foxface on my way home tonight ;)

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Agree, wouldn't get more than 1 tang in a 90.

I have a sailfin tang and had* a foxface in my 90 gallon, never had any issues with the two. I'm pushing it though, as my 90 gallon is only 3' wide. I shouldn't even have the sailfin in there, as they get quite large. Finally I ended up giving away my foxface.

Foxface is a great fish. Lots of character, and to see it change colors as quickly as it does is amazing. You can tell very quickly when it gets stressed. Can turn from a bright yellow to a grey color in seconds. Also changes color when it's sleeping. If it's in your budget, look into exotic foxfaces. There are a few different ones that come in some really great colors..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store