Moss and Excel?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kris_66

AC Members
Nov 21, 2010
Moreno Valley, California
Real Name
Kristina
I've just been looking on aquabid at the mosses for sale. Googled a type of moss and it took me to a post on another forum site. That person said flourish excel is not good to use as a fert in a tank that has moss as it melts it.

I want to create a moss wall in my tank with weeping moss and I was going to use excel as my fert as I wont be having CO2. I don't want to do this and it all dies!

Is it true that excel kills moss? :(

Haydn24

Boo!
Jun 28, 2010
Australia
Real Name
Haydn
I doubt it, I use excel as a carbon source for my planted tank and my java moss takes off! I trim weekly if not twice a week

Bart G

AC Members
Jan 15, 2010
I have found excel to be awesome with moss. I have java and christmas moss and they actually seem to like excel. I was getting several kinds of algae before my moss took off. Using a syringe I squirted the trouble spots daily with excel. It eventually killed all the algae and I was able to vac it out. The algae hasn't come back since and I stopped dosing it once all the algae was gone.

aussie pride

AC Members
Jun 21, 2010
yeah excel made my java moss EXPLODE. i had to trim probably every 3 days or so. i dont dose anything on my moss at the moment and i still need to trim it once or twice a month.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store