What lighting system is best for a 28.5 inch deep planted tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

newguybri

Registered Member
Jan 9, 2011
Hi, Im looking at buying an Oceanic 215 gallon aquarium. The tank is 28.5 inches tall and I want to have a lush planted aquarium. What type of light would you recommend? Ive had small tanks, 29 gallons, in the past, but never tried growing plants. All the recommendations for lighting that I can find deal with tanks that are 24 inches or less in height. It seems like most people are using T5 lights. Would that work for a deep tank like the one Im getting? Thanks for your help.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Metal Halide and T5 lighting are the only readily available (off the shelf) lighting options for that depth. I'm seen a 450 gallon using T5s. Everything grows well. Its 30 inches deep. The owner used to have it setup as a reef tank and DIY'd the lights.

If you're looking for commercial, personally, I'd be call the folks at Catalina. http://www.catalinaaquarium.com
They'll actually work with you to build a fixture or fixtures that will work well for you. They don't require you to buy their bulbs either.

There are some LED bulbs with enough penetration but they aren't anywhere near the correct spectrum yet. I was looking at the specs on some 30, 50, and 100 watt emitters earlier today. WOW.
Wow on price, wattage, power requirements, and heat sink requirements.

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
I have a 120g tall 60"x18"x26" I've done all kings of light over this tank T12, T8, PCs, T5, and combinations in between overdriven too. I had 3 T5HO with no issues until the balast died. I now have 4 80w T5HO over the tank as of Fri. but I have to tweak the lighting schedule now.

I think your lighting requirements depend on the plants you want to grow, pressurized Co2, etc.... you can make it work. LEDs are the new thing now I have no experience with them but hope to when they become more affordable.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store