Join me in this daydream please....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
First of all HI EVERYONE! :hi: I haven't been on much recently because my PC was broken!!

----------

I have.....
16 1'-1.5' juvi white L. caeruleus
AND
an empty Oceanic 56g (36'x18'x22) with built in over flow....

Why not put them together!? :22_yikes: Alright so I want a single species tank of these beauties, maybe with some bottom dwellers. In Spring/Summer I will be putting ALL my cichlids out in ponds so they will get a good growout stage (I really think my original guys should be larger by now). Let's move on to questions and opinions!

1. How many...total fish and max males?

2. Use existing trickle filter or make a sump? Think I will have to go with a UGJ system to give the feces a chance at reaching the overflow. Any suggestions for keeping poop machines with an overflow?

3. I know I want a dark-black background and rocks to contrast the white fish but what about sand? Black would add more contrast but white might brighten their color and the tank in general (not sure I want to tank brightened though). Ideas of how to get/find/make DARK rocks?

4. Any suggestions towards tank mates/bottom dwellers? Yes, no, what....

5. Who wants pictures!? 1 Teaser shot attached till I get responses :FIREdevil:

100_4726.JPG

Fyurae

AC Members
Nov 24, 2010
Skagit Valley, WA
www.fyurae.com
3. I like dark, especially with plants. Makes them POP! I got my dark sand with a bucket at the creek. If you look at the most recent pics, that is 1/2 dark sand and 1/2 a lighter batch I had gotten. HOWEVER, I have no money and lots of time. I don't know if you would prefer cheap, or quick.

Last edited:

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Ummm...cheap and quick! :D I'm in the same boat, no money & lots of time! I actually already have some T-grade colorquartz in black or white also some black S-grade and play sand too! I just don't know which one to use. :)

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
beautiful fish.

on the rock, I think fyurae is onto the right approach. You're not going to worry about hardening properties/Ph raises from the rocks with these guys so you're more or less at large to take rocks from streams/lakes that you like the look of.

If you could lay your hands on some chunks of slate you could do a really impressive wall of rock with lots of caves etc - and its not as heavy as some of the stuff you might otherwise pick up casually.

The tank is three feet in length which is the most important dimension as you know. I would think something like 12 adults, with 3 males, would be about right, but anyway at least 2 males and not more than 4.

For bottom dwellers, synodontis catfish work well. In particular Synodontis Petricola or Synodontis Multipunctatus. Both are nice - a lot of people find the petricola prettier.

I would say 3 of those would be nice (perhaps 4 or 5 Petricola as they stay smaller). My own experience of multipunctatus says get just the 1 or, more preferably, a group of 3 or 4 as if there are 2 the dominant will bully the other one off the food and you end up with a quite weakened fish.

For sand, I would say go black. With decent (standard really) lighting, a black background, and dark rock you need not worry about the fish looking anything but beautiful. If anything, light sand would likely wash these guys out more.

You could also put some java fern and/or anubias in - it will be a lovely tank.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Oh sorry, you wanted dark ROCKS, not sand. I'd say just go looking for them. Hike down to a creek or just a boat launch. Some dish detergent will wipe out any pollutants if there is traffic near by, followed by a boil.
Unfortunately (for this situation) I live in a very unrocky area, most of the waterways are brown from tannins and clay. I have gone searching before with no such luck.
beautiful fish.

on the rock, I think fyurae is onto the right approach. You're not going to worry about hardening properties/Ph raises from the rocks with these guys so you're more or less at large to take rocks from streams/lakes that you like the look of.

If you could lay your hands on some chunks of slate you could do a really impressive wall of rock with lots of caves etc - and its not as heavy as some of the stuff you might otherwise pick up casually.

The tank is three feet in length which is the most important dimension as you know. I would think something like 12 adults, with 3 males, would be about right, but anyway at least 2 males and not more than 4.

For bottom dwellers, synodontis catfish work well. In particular Synodontis Petricola or Synodontis Multipunctatus. Both are nice - a lot of people find the petricola prettier.

I would say 3 of those would be nice (perhaps 4 or 5 Petricola as they stay smaller). My own experience of multipunctatus says get just the 1 or, more preferably, a group of 3 or 4 as if there are 2 the dominant will bully the other one off the food and you end up with a quite weakened fish.

For sand, I would say go black. With decent (standard really) lighting, a black background, and dark rock you need not worry about the fish looking anything but beautiful. If anything, light sand would likely wash these guys out more.

You could also put some java fern and/or anubias in - it will be a lovely tank.
Cooler, it's nice to see you so very active the past couple of days! I hope that means good things in your part of the world.

I don't care for slate for a display tank. I have it in one of my grow outs because like you said it makes an awesome amounts of caves (and easily stackable!) but it looks too unnatural to me. I also don't care for it around ponds for the same reason. Yes I used slate-like stone in my 72g but mixing it with the free form lace rock made it work.
You can barely see the hard straight lines of the slate.

I was thinking 15 total with 2 males so I was close! But I figured I was over dreaming....and that's why I come here! :) But I think 3 males might be better as crazy as that sounds. With 3 the aggression will be spread out a bit more, with 2 the sub-dominant would be singled out. I was worried 3 males might be too much even with these "mild-mannered" Mbunas so I'm glad you said 3.

Length is always the most important factor with Mbunas but the extra depth/width is great for aquascaping and more surface area for gas exchange. Just pointing that out for any silent readers. :)

I never added any syno cats to my main tank mainly because they are on the meat loving side and that is a big confliction with our overall high veggie diet for Mbunas. BUT l. caeruleus is an omnivore so perhaps they could better tolerate the occasional high protein snack? I'm thinking....NLS cichlid as a staple, fresh veggies weekly and shrimp pellets dropped in after lights out, MAYBE a monthly freeze dried treat.

I completely agree on the black sand, I love it we have a winner!

Java fern HATES me, low tech or high tech is just dies. Narrow leaf is the only one that will survive at all so I will try a little of that. I'll try anubias again, in my 72 it was shredded but perhaps it will have better luck with this single species tank (and being added when they are young).

Thanks Cooler!!

-----------

I just need some help with this still...

2. Use existing trickle filter or make a sump? Think I will have to go with a UGJ system to give the feces a chance at reaching the overflow. Any suggestions for keeping poop machines with an overflow?

fishguychris

AC Members
Nov 7, 2010
amazing tank

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thanks, I wish it still looked like that. :)

I forgot to add some pictures before, they aren't great but you get to see them pretty well from all angles. Pictures were taken AFTER feeding so they were shy with their fat bellies! Last picture is of their home where they all hide up inside the castle, sideways. :y220d: I see the littlest ones come out of the highest tower window sometimes, it's adorable! I can't wait to get a proper tank for them cause that QT tank has got to go!

100_4723.JPG 100_4728.JPG 100_4729.JPG 100_4730.JPG 100_4734.JPG 100_4735.JPG 100_4737.JPG

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
There you are! We've missed you :D

Awesome tank as well. Those white labs will look great over some dark rocks. I would try something like granite if you don't want to use slate. I also agree that a school of syno petricola would be cool. They eat anything(including fry) so I wouldn't worry much about diet differences. Mine live with my mbuna and are fat and healthy, just feed a good quality pellet food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store