Acei is holding..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I noticed once of my aceis wasn't eating this morning and under thorough inspection revealed she had a mouthful of eggs! My question is that since I do not have a spare tank to put her in what can I do to ensure she survives? I'm not so much worried about the fry, I have a breeder box for them if it comes to that. She shares the tank with 12 other mbunas and a large, dopey featherfin catfish.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I'm thinking about just getting her one of those chain packaged 10 gallons with hood/lights etc...only $25 and I could raise the fry in it.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
I'd say she will likely do fine in the tank actually - I am only going by my own experience here, with a random female albino socolofi which spawns and spits regularly. She just tucks herself into a few hiding places and gets through it.

where the 10G could come in very handy would be in allowing her regain condition though - i.e. feed her up and give her a break before going back in the tank.

Congrats on her holding - its the greatest compliment the fish can pay their keeper, to demonstrate breeding - shows you're getting it very right. Have you a few more females in there ? Now that she's started she may find it tough not to be almost permanently holding if she's the only one.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Thanks for the response Coler. She isn't the only other female in the tank. This is my first mbuna spawn so I'm super excited even if the fry get munched. I think I'm going to pick up the 10 gallon for her anyways because she's one of my original fish. Once again thanks I really appreciate it!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Awesome! My old lady let me get a 20 gallon that was on sale at a chain with hood/lights/filter for $42 so now I get to do something fun with that if the acei doesn't need it :)

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
Congrats! I'd let her hold and spit in the tank as long as she's not being harassed. If you want to try and save the fry you can stack a pile of small rocks for her to spit into that the other fish can't get into.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Provided main tank is lare enough and has enough rocks/crevices, most should be OK.

Had population explosion in couple yrs in 540G AC with many adult mbunas/haplochromines as well as in 180 G AC.
Counted close to few hundred juvies/adolescents when tank cracked: Maybe increased weight of the all the fish cracked the tank,LOL!

Possible stress imposed on mother while trying to catch may do more harm than good as she can swallow the eggs/frys unless you can somehow mangae to scoop it out. Try removing most rocks, if not all, and turn off the light (dark). Should be ale to easily scoop it out once they are sleeping..

btw, Congrats on your first!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Nice, I love all these positive responses! Thanks all. I'm going to be patient and watch her over the next X amount of days. I'll get started on a corner stack of small rocks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store