URGENT, Please Help: Texas Law Will Effectively Prohibit Most Aquarium Plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
URGENT, Please Help: Texas Law Will Effectively Prohibit Most Aquarium Plants

The Texas Parks & Wildlife Division is currently hearing public comments on proposed legislation that will severely limit trade and possession of most common aquarium plants.

While invasive, exotic plants and other organisms are serious environmental problems, the new Texas law is extreme. In addition to including a list of prohibited species, which is already a common practice, the new law effectively bans all aquatic plants not cited in a (very short!) "white list" of approved species. I have read through both the approved species list and the list of banned species and there seem to be a number of dubious inclusions. These call into question the rigor of the science used to make these important decisions.

Please read more to become informed and contact the participating agency representatives and policymakers via telephone, email or paper letter as soon as you can. This notice was published by the International Waterlily and Water Gardening Society and seems to contain relevant and current information. Read it and follow the links!

International Waterlily and Water Gardening Society: New Texas Aquatic Plant Law

It is urgent that planted aquarium enthusiasts who love their hobby become informed about this new legislation and call, write or email right away. Even if you do not live in Texas the law is likely to set legal precedents for other states, and you will no longer be able to trade with or sell most of your plants into Texas. The aquascaping hobby seems to be especially robust in Texas, so such severe restrictions on plant-keeping might compromise the hobby for all of us. And it is a real shame for Texan plant lovers.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
The first govt agency what bans duckweed will be invited to my house, fed a healthy breakfest lunch and dinner, and more than welcome to -try- to remove it all.

White lists are almost impossible to enforce, this one doubly so. You approve one crypt., but how does the state inspector know the three others you are looking at are that one and not a non approved one.

Or you are like my state in banning all piranha. Of course, that doesn't explain why 2 of the four non big box LFS within a 10 mile radius have them for sale. One of them has at least 4 tanks of them, and gar, which are also banned.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
I just spoke with Earl Chilton, TPWD's Exotic Vegetation Program Manager. He is a friendly and reasonable guy. You can find his phone number and email on this page...

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/releases/?req=20101229b

Here are a few points that I raised.

• As they are, the new rules will prohibit trade in Texas of most aquarium plants.
  • The new rules will discourage hobbyists and significantly impact the planted aquarium industry.
  • A fish tank in the home, office or school might be the only daily contact with nature for many city dwellers, working people and children.
  • A number of the inclusions in both the banned species list and the list of approved species seem to be arbitrarily or hastily assembled.

andyjs

AC Members
Jun 6, 2009
Ohio

bobalston

AC Members
Apr 2, 2003
Tulsa, OK
Visit site
I just spoke with Earl Chilton, TPWD's Exotic Vegetation Program Manager. He is a friendly and reasonable guy. You can find his phone number and email on this page...

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/releases/?req=20101229b

Here are a few points that I raised.

• As they are, the new rules will prohibit trade in Texas of most aquarium plants.
  • The new rules will discourage hobbyists and significantly impact the planted aquarium industry.
  • A fish tank in the home, office or school might be the only daily contact with nature for many city dwellers, working people and children.
  • A number of the inclusions in both the banned species list and the list of approved species seem to be arbitrarily or hastily assembled.
That sounds very encouraging. What we need is reasonable people at TPWD to work with.

By the way, what did Dr. Chilton have to say in response to your points?

Bob :huh:

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
Here's a link to more info, the contact information is below:
http://archive.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/exotic/aquatic_plants/

Here's the list of Ineligible Species:
http://archive.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/exotic/aquatic_plants/ineligible_species.phtml

Crypts, pennywort, wisteria, temple plant, Marsilea, were the only ones I immediately recognized...one question though...

Where f*** is duckweed? Lemnia minor, helloooo?!

It is on the ALREADY PROHIBITED list

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store