1st bn pleco spawn questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nguyendetecting

"Swim along with the snorks"
Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
only noticed them because I was taking a piece of driftwood out and baby plecos fell all back into the tank. all are doing well and seem healthy have been feeding cooked zucchini and hakari first bites.

Input please?? tips? size comparison the the gravel piece. not very old don't seem to be eating much.

Male is normal coloration female is albino, there are only like 5 out of 30ish that are albino lol. any experience with the ratio anyone?

DSC00436.JPG DSC00431.JPG DSC00433.JPG DSC00435.JPG DSC_0011.JPG

crimsonmoon

Gotta love those cories...
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
when mine bred, the female was albino and the male was brown, and the fry were about half brown and the other half albino. good luck with them they look good!! :)

nonamesleft47

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
I like to raise my bristlenose fry in a 10 gallon with a sponge filter, shrimp and lots of java moss and wood. Feed them in one corner and they will congregate there. I leave them in the 10 gallon until they are 1" size then move them to other tanks. If there are no other fish in the adult tank you could raise them there to the 1" size. I normally raise 2-3 spawns together and then future spawns into another tank. Very small fry don't compete well with 1" size fry but do fine with the parents.

Both albino will of course give you all albino. One albino, one normal should give you all het for albino but a small percentage of albino isn't unusual. Most of the fry you have now should be het for albino with 25% or so being normal. Breed them to each other and you should get half albino/ half normal spawns. I bred a trio of browns a few years ago. One female would throw half albino half normal. The other would throw mostly normal with about 10% long fin thrown in. It is fairly unpredictable though as generation after generation has been inbred.

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
Good luck on the spawn.

nguyendetecting

"Swim along with the snorks"
Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
fry have changed overnight and now are eating well and devouring the hikari first bites. I was worried at first but they must have been stressed from the move they're doing great. Did find 1 dead one under a piece of zucchini. other then that the rest are doing great.

DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0008.JPG

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
Great pics! They do love zucchini. I had a pair that were both brown but one mustve had albino parent because they threw off about 40% albino in each spawn which was quite a surprise to me.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Hey congrats on the babies!! They look to be about a week old. So the first 4-5 days they didn't eat at all because of the egg sac. You're feeding yours what I feed my babies. After the first couple of weeks I try to add other dry foods. Right now mine like Kens veggie sticks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store