3 plants on one stem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
i have this sword type plant and one stem has what looks like 3 small plants on it in series. they are all in a row basically equally spaced out. If they are each individual plants, I'd like to put them into the gravel right away. is that ok? thanks.

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
Sounds like baby plantlets. got any pics? usually you should wait 'til they start growing their own roots before removing them from the mother plant.

Michel

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Amazon swords will put out plantlets from its leaves. What I do is weigh them down and let them establish a root system. When fully established I cut them off from Mom and plant in a suitable location or give them to a friend.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, I do pretty much what Michel does, leave them attached but lay them along the substrate until the "babies" get bigger leaves & roots. The runner supplies needed nutrition for a while & they're much easier to deal with while still attached to the runner IME. Tiny roots are a PITA to try & plant.

bluemeate

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
can someone post pics cuase i dont know if my plants have started growing plantlets yet... i mean its been a few months since i had em, and welll idk

bluemeate

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
oh ****, i dont have any plants with anything like that :(

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I like to leave some runner attached so I can put a small rock on it to hold it down. The runner will then rot off. Or when the plantlets are a bit bigger you can just gently pick them off the runner & the runner might make more babies. Too soon though, yours are teeny.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store