Plant ID

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Picked up a few bundles of plants at the local Petco a couple weeks ago. They didn't have any labels for the plants so not entirely sure what they are. One of them is doing perfectly fine so I'm not worried about it. The other two...

I was thinking Rotala at first but not 100% sure. They are doing okay. They keep growing new branches and leaves, but have a tendency to rot in the middle or where buried in the sand. I've got 3-4 more of them now planted in the sand from this pattern.

Some of the ones that seem to have rotted but they seem to be growing new branches/leaves.

They didn't have roots when I got them, but neither did my Wisteria from Petco. I didn't see a rhizome so I planted them into the sand like a stem plant. Starting to wonder if that was a bad idea since the area planted under sand seems to become soft and rot. Not seeing any roots growing anywhere on them either. My Kribs seem to like nibbling on them for some odd reason.

This one is mostly doing okay. The two with all the leaves are shooting out roots all over the place. But the one in front is regularly dropping leaves and not seeing any rooting from it. It is a rather hard stem/branch plant. Feels a lot like a terrestrial plant which is what concerns me a little.

weedee

AC Members
Oct 17, 2010
hi

any time a need to id a plant i use southisland aquariums LTD web site it has never let me dow yet.

good luck

MoonstruckMuse

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
The first one looks a lot like not-too-healthy ludwigia to me. I tried growing it from the big box stores, and for whatever reason, could never get it to thrive. But other stem plants did just fine for me....?

Not sure what the second one is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store