Can I tie Anubias to ...?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chrisk-K

Theodore P. Charles Fellow of AC
Dec 1, 2009
Maryland
weights used for artifical plants? I have a sand bottom, so I cannot simply plant them.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I got some & plsnted it in pool sand right before vacation. It was all dug up & filter fodder when I came home :thumbsdown: Maybe with some better anchoring +/-ferts but I gave it up...

MoonstruckMuse

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
My anubias has trouble staying in the sand until the roots actual start winding their way into the substrate, but still, they're not rooted... just growing onto lots of tiny, tiny rocks. Haha.

What I find works best is to secure them to small rocks (ones I find outside and rinse off well work fine, since they're so small) with some thread and then to bury the rock and roots. This way, the roots grow into the rock, and eventually into the substrate itself. Securing to driftwood looks extra nice, too.

Chrisk-K

Theodore P. Charles Fellow of AC
Dec 1, 2009
Maryland
I plan to put anubias in my cory tank that has PFS. Cories dig all the time, so I need to anchor them. How big should rocks be? I have lots of small rocks and their size is about 1"x1"x1".

MoonstruckMuse

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
Honestly, they don't need to be big, just big enough that SOME roots can anchor onto them initially. Those sound fine, so long as they have some edges or curves where you can effectively tie roots down onto/around. Eventually, the other roots will root into the substrate as it grows bigger, even despite the cories digging... so even when bigger, it shouldn't float up.
If you're concerned, you could root them onto larger rocks or bury a piece of mesh that you tied it down to.

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Most of my anubias seems to root faster when tied to wood. I do have anubias growing tied to rocks, wood, and in the substrate.

angel fresh

AC Members
May 23, 2010
certaily it looks cool and also does well when tied to a bog wood. nice pic BTW.

Sigrid

AC Members
Jan 8, 2011
both hands in fish tank
Real Name
Bristlenose
Hallo,
...may I chime in? I tie all my anubias to some rock/stone - to some crazy looking decor as it will be covered up in time - some wood or with stick pins into the cork wall I glued on wall of my 125. Sooner or later the rhizomes will spread out, and the plant will grow.

QUESTION: How can I add pics to my answers as some of you have done so nicely?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store