Picture of our new 90g

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nynikki

"Would you like to play a game?"
Aug 7, 2007
Phoenix
This is the 90 gallon we purchased on Craig's list. I was upgrading my 30g, so some of the rocks and corals we already had, but most of this came with the tank.

While I have your attention, if you have any care advice about the anemone in the pic, please share. There are two, I think they are both purple tip anemone and they seem to be happy where I placed them. They haven't moved in three days, so I hope that means they are happy. I did target feed them tonight, but how often do you do that?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Not sure how long you have had the tank but you did a great job setting it all back up. It really looks like those corals have been in those spots for a while and grown in. Nice job!

As for the bubble tips, they are the hardiest hosting nems in the hobby. I would not feed them more than about once a week (directly). They will likely get some food just from feeding your fish and if you have clowns they may bring food to them as well. I highly recommend feeding fresh seafood from your grocer and avoid things like frozen silversides from your LFS. You can get a half dozen shrimp or so and freeze the left overs. Foods should be small so that the nem can digest them before they rot inside the nem. Just about the size of the nems mouth in size.

What kind of lighting is on the tank? Also, you need to keep water chemistry as stable as you can for the nems. Glad they have stayed out but bubbles are known to stay put for months at a time and ten just decide to move at which time you may need to move some corals from their path. If they are happy with the lighting and flow where they are try not to change either too much or they may also move.

nynikki

Aug 7, 2007
Phoenix
We moved this tank on Saturday and added sand and water and then waited until Sunday to Aquascape it. Couldn't see a darn thing with the sand on Saturday night. The lighting is 2 - 250 watt Metal Halide and then I think it's a 100 watt actinic compact florescent that runs across the top. The anemones are right near the tunze wave maker, so I hope they will stay put. I would hate to wake up in the morning to find they walked (I know that's not the right word) all over the rest of my corals. As for feeding, so far I've been feeding the frozen foods sold for fish like Emerald Entree and Marine Cuisine. I mix in a few others like Plankton, and Blood Worms. Will those work for the anemones also? My husband and I eat seafood all the time, so cutting off a few small pieces of say salmon before cooking it up would also be very easy for us to do.

brite liner

AC Members
Jan 12, 2011
I would change those halides out when they need changing so you don't have to lose money, maybe you like the yellow warmer hue vs the colder blue look, deep blue. I bring it up, you posted one pic of the attinics on only so i only thought you prefer how it looks that way. either not enough attinic supplementation but you can if they are not already 10k halides then you can go up to 14k, 15k, are they SE or DE hqi halides and that will compensate in addition with the attinic bulb you have.

nynikki

Aug 7, 2007
Phoenix
I would change those halides out when they need changing so you don't have to lose money, maybe you like the yellow warmer hue vs the colder blue look, deep blue. I bring it up, you posted one pic of the attinics on only so i only thought you prefer how it looks that way. either not enough attinic supplementation but you can if they are not already 10k halides then you can go up to 14k, 15k, are they SE or DE hqi halides and that will compensate in addition with the attinic bulb you have.

Are you suggesting that I get rid of the halides all together? And what whould those be replaced with? The only reason I posted the picture with the halides on and then the actinics only was because of the timing in the day, we have the actinics on for a 1/2 hour before and after the halides come on and shut off to create a dusk to dawn affect.

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
^^ halides are becoming less and less popular lately, with most people either using T5s or slowly moving into the whole LED realm.

Halides (imo) are great, however, they generate lots of electricity, and they need to be replaced often.

I really like T5s, but again, they should be changed even more often than MHs do.

I started looking into LEDs and so far they seem the way to go. They are pricier, but they generate way less electricity, no heat, no changing bulbs (for years)..

I haven't had any luck selling my MH lighting either. Something that would easily sell for 600$ last year isn't gaining anyone's interest at less than half the price.

nynikki

Aug 7, 2007
Phoenix
^^ halides are becoming less and less popular lately, with most people either using T5s or slowly moving into the whole LED realm.

Halides (imo) are great, however, they generate lots of electricity, and they need to be replaced often.

I really like T5s, but again, they should be changed even more often than MHs do.

I started looking into LEDs and so far they seem the way to go. They are pricier, but they generate way less electricity, no heat, no changing bulbs (for years)..

I haven't had any luck selling my MH lighting either. Something that would easily sell for 600$ last year isn't gaining anyone's interest at less than half the price.
Thanks Cheech. We started looking at maybe a future change to LED, but at the size we would need, It'll cost about $1000 just for the light. So for now, what came with the tank will have to suffice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store