Can I expect algae problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
I just finished some rearranging and moved a T5HO light to a 20 long tank. There is now 78 watts of T5HO lighting with 10,000k over this tank. It is "planted" with several different types of anubias, I am dosing excel daily. Can I expect an algae problem from this tank, it just seems like a lot of light?

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Does seem like a lot of light for just Anubias, do you know what kind you have? The larger ones seem to grow at a faster pace.

What about some floating plants to diffuse the light? I have tons of mini water lettuce (was sold to me as frogbit, but definitely is not Amazon frogbit) I can mail you for real cheap if you'd like.

Water sprite doesn't like me, but another fine choice if you can find it.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
Does seem like a lot of light for just Anubias. What about some floating plants to diffuse the light? I have tons of mini water lettuce (was sold to me as frogbit, but definitely is not Amazon frogbit) I can mail you for real cheap if you'd like.

Water sprite doesn't like me, but another fine choice if you can find it.
Thanks but I have that in almost every tank I own, other than this one, and I throw it out by the handful every week. I am really trying to stay away from floating plants with this tank.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
That's a ton of light especially for a 20 long with just anubias. I think you can definitely expect algae.

Plague

O.o
Aug 4, 2010
Miami, Fl
That is a load of light... I have 108 watts over my 55 gallon and that is considered high lighting. What you have is uber lighting lol.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
I guess I should add that the photoperiod is right at 10 hours, give or take 10 minutes here and there. I thought about adding some HM but have no plans for CO2.
Jason- The tank will be stocked with a few habrosus cories and rummy nose tetras.

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store