steelerfan's 30 Gallon Breeder Journal/Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

steelerfan67

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Hi All,

I wanted to start keeping a log of my tank now and I am sorry in advance for possibly the slowest build thread ever.

I have an aqueon 30 Gallon Breeder Tank (36x18x12)

The system will be sumpless and I plan to use the K.I.S.S. method.

I like to be a bit different and I really have not seen too many of these tanks.

I like the look it gives and I think the surface area will give me all the tank I need.

There were a few tanks that really inspired me, Greech's being 1 of them, so thanks bud.

Below I am listing everything I can think of that I will be getting for the build and will buy as I can.

I gotta say, I added up everything and it was a chunk more than I thought, but I guess that is par for the course in this hobby.

As far as livestock goes, so far, I am planning on 3-4 fish with a dwarf angel being the last to complete the tank.

All fish will be added 1 at a time and placed in a q-tine tank for 6 weeks to observe and treat anything that should come up.

I only want to keep some zoas, and soft corals and I will be dipping and observe those as well before they go into the main tank.

Well onto the equipment: *= purchased

Set up :
Aqueon 30 Gallon Breeder (36x18x12) *
Aqueon Black Pine Stand *

Lighting:
Aquatic Life 2 bulb T-5 Lighting (78 Watts)
1 ATI Blue+
1 ATI Purple+

Filtration:
30#'s Base Rock (Still deciding on BRS, TBS, or Marco)
50#'s Aragonite
AC110 with Polyfilter and Lignite Carbon
Protein Skimmer (Still Reading)

Water Movement:
2 Tunze 6015
AC 110

Water:
RO/DI Unit

Salt:
Neo Marine or Kent

Heating:
Ranco Dual Temp Controller
2 50 watt Rena Smart Heaters

Testing Equipment:
TDS Meter
Refractometer
Sailfert's Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH, ALK Kits

Backups:
GFCI Outlet
Vector 400 watt Power Invertor
PC Battery Backup to run 1 3.5 Watt Tunze 6015 (Any suggestions?)

Q-Tine Setup:
10 Gallon Tank
AC 30 Filter
50 watt heater
pvc pipe
Ammonia Alert

Misc:
2 Brute 10 gallon buckets
2 5 gallon paint buckets *
Vacuum *
Nets
Water Alarm
Micron Bag for carbon
Net Cover for top
Black cut acrylic piece for back of tank
Mag Float
Maxi Jet 900

Meds:
Cupramine
Praziquantel
Revive
Copper Level Test Kit

Food:
SF Foods
Selcon

I think that about covers it.

I am planning on ordering the items needed to get started tomorrow and hopefully get this puppy rolling.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Didn't see you had a new build thread going. That's one heck of a list! You definitely have a good start and the tank and stand look great.

I may have recommended the Purple+ in the past but I'm done with that bulb on my tank. It's really red on a shallow tank like yours and mine and it almost makes your LR pink. I now have 3 ATI Blue+ and an ATI Aqua blues pecial. Even without the LEDs on the tank looks much better without the Purple+.

steelerfan67

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Didn't see you had a new build thread going. That's one heck of a list! You definitely have a good start and the tank and stand look great.

I may have recommended the Purple+ in the past but I'm done with that bulb on my tank. It's really red on a shallow tank like yours and mine and it almost makes your LR pink. I now have 3 ATI Blue+ and an ATI Aqua blues pecial. Even without the LEDs on the tank looks much better without the Purple+.
thanks greech,

yes, you mentioned the purple+.

i didn't order them yet because the tunze 6015's are out of stock until monday and am ordering then.

since i am only going the 2 bulbs, you think i should get the 2 blue+ ?

thanks for all of your help on this.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
That would be my preference. Either that or a Blue+ and a Aquablue special but that will be more of a daylight.

Really like my lighting better w/out the purple.

steelerfan67

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
That would be my preference. Either that or a Blue+ and a Aquablue special but that will be more of a daylight.

Really like my lighting better w/out the purple.
you think blue makes things pop out more as far as the real bright colors?

the daylight really doesn't seem to do much for me.

what is the difference between the special, actnic, and plus?

snupa

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey, USA
I'm looking at the aquaticlife as well. I like how you can expand it as you need more light (and have more $$$) so I think i'll go with that too. Awesome list! I might steal a few equipment tips from your list. :)

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
The Blue+'s are not quite an actinic bulb but provide nice pop and great PAR. Somewhere between a 14K and 20K look.

The special is more like a 10-12K bulb. Mostly white/yellow with a tint of blue.

The actinic is just blue/red/purple. Pure pop usually with lower par.

steelerfan67

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
steal away snupa as i gained that list from stealing from everyone else :)

i oredered a lot of stuff friday, so i am excited for this week.

i changed a couple things but not too much.

I'm looking at the aquaticlife as well. I like how you can expand it as you need more light (and have more $$$) so I think i'll go with that too. Awesome list! I might steal a few equipment tips from your list. :)

steelerfan67

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
so, in your opinion, should i go with 2 blue+ or 1 blue+ and 1 actinic?

The Blue+'s are not quite an actinic bulb but provide nice pop and great PAR. Somewhere between a 14K and 20K look.

The special is more like a 10-12K bulb. Mostly white/yellow with a tint of blue.

The actinic is just blue/red/purple. Pure pop usually with lower par.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
If it was me I would go with 2x blue+. Good color and about the best par you can get out of a bluer bulb.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store