A few Angel questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Trustthapo

Registered Member
Nov 7, 2010
I'm going to inherit three young Angelfish(P. scalare), amongst other critters, from a kid getting out of the fish hobby. :grinyes:
I have a 47 breeder and an appropriate filter just laying around, so I thought: why not take them?

Anyway, when measuring the volume of the tank- it is quite shallow- it came up as 17 inches tall. One or two inches of this will be gravel, and there will be about an inch from the surface so I can keep the light on the tank, but this leaves them only 14-15 inches of height to swim in. It is my understanding that Angels only get about 10 inches long, but... would this leave them enough room? I won't take them if this is too small.

Onto another note- I would love to keep a pair of Rams and a school of Cory cats with the Angels; from what I've read, they get along well, but you can never be too safe!

Finally, will they leave plants alone? I would love to try my hand at a South American/ Amazon biotype, with plants like swords and vals, but I know how cichlids can be with plants :rolleyes:

I'd love to know this info soon, since I'll be getting the fish next Thursday. Will be setting up a quarantine tank first.

Thanks c:

*EDIT* Sorry, guys, but I'm super-new to the forums, and just noticed the Discus/Angel subforum. Can somebody please move or delete this? D:

Last edited:

tbonedeluxe

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Chicago,Il
In my experience with angel fish,47g would be plenty of room for 3 angels,pair of rams and 3 cories.They all would be very happy in a planted tank.They do not uproot plants or eat the leaves of larger plants.
My angels do pick at the the leaves of my tiny leaved plants but they don't destroy the plants.I keep angels in rams together in a 55g tank.
Both breeds become territorial when breeding but it's never become a real issue in my community tank. I say you should go for it and enjoy
the tranquility of both species in the same tank,including the cories that you choose.They all make for great community fish in that size of tank.
Oh, most angels will average 4-6 inches in their adult stage in my experiences of keeping them for over 20 years. :)

Last edited:

tbonedeluxe

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Chicago,Il
IMO, 15 inches is still enough height in a 47g for your future angels to do well in.A good rule is, 1 inch of fish per gallon of water. :thm:

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
don't go by the 1 inch/gallon rule. it really isn't a good idea. if i followed that rule i'd have my oscar in a 10-15 gallon tank! what you want to look at is the shape and size of the fish, what their swimming pattern is like (do they swim up and down or side to side?), and the amount of waste they create (bigger fish need more water volume so that their wastes can be diluted and not foul the water between water changes)

angels won't eat plants, and they will very much appreciate a planted tank. cories and rams are fine to be housed with them, but for that size tank with three angels i would go with just a school of cories and no rams.

your tank's dimensions will be fine for the angels.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
About the angels-eating-plants thing...Since you're going to QT anyway I would advise this: get their home tank up and running and plants planted NOW. While they may not actually eat them my angels are "pickers" at the ones I'm trying to get established in their tank.

Doesn't help that the only black substrate I could find/afford was gravel so they are not very firmly anchored at this point. If you are going to be using finer-grained substrate or sand it would probably help them sprout roots faster and get anchored in place. The picking behavior would then just break off a leaf here and there rather than having you wake up to half your plants floating every morning. :(

congrats on the free fish, and it sounds like you are going to have a fabulous tank in a few months. :)

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
the tank should work

I have been keeping angels for several years.. bred them for a few.

the height of the angles will vary.. veiled angels may have more finnage..

I have P.Scalare Peru..in 29's I have about 16" of room in my tanks.. btw.. the peruvian angels are nearly 10" tall tip of extended ventral to tip of extended anal fin and still growing..this is generally what is considered when selecting tanks for angels.. 4-6 " is generally the body size sans the fins.. in a shallow tank an angel will not be able to spread it's fins.. or drag them and damage them.
taller tanks are better when raising angels.

good luck and enjoy the angels

Trustthapo

Registered Member
Nov 7, 2010
NOTE: When I derp'd and said that Angels should, in my understanding, only get about 10" long, I meant tall- from the tip of the Dorsal fin to the tip of the Anal fin. :wall:

Sorry for the late replies. Exam week isn't forgiving.
Anyway, I have the main tank filled up. May be nixing the Cories, as the only substrate I could get my hands on was pea gravel. I would have loved to use pool sand, but I couldn't go to town and buy any.
I'm not following the inch-of-fish-per-gallon rule; in fact, I was mortified when I had a classmate ask if she could buy a 10 gallon tank and stick one or two Blood Parrots in it! Knowing that Angels are peaceful, and that I have an oversized filter, I didn't know if I could sneak in a few small fish. I've been reading a lot on Angels the past few days, and have seen many mixed feelings on tank size, with some people keeping pairs in tanks as small as 30 gallons. As I've never worked with Angels, I didn't think it would hurt to ask.
If the Angels end up being Veiled or Altums, I'll switch them with my Parrot Cichlid's 55 gallon tank. But, as it is, the tank only has an inch of gravel, so they now have an approx. 15" of height.
The only problem I have so far is that I have yet to buy plants, the bulb in the fixture is... sub-par... and, most tragically, my HOB filter has something wrong with either the impeller or its housing, so I have to replace it. With the cost of the plants, filter, and bulb, it looks like I won't be getting another Boa Constrictor sp. at the next reptile show. Sorry, Zorro, my little Colombian Boa, but you'll remain a bachelor for a few months more! :(

Trustthapo

Registered Member
Nov 7, 2010
Just an update for everybody following this thread-
I contacted the kid a short while ago about the angels, only to find that they had croaked.
However, he also had a bunch of Tinfoil Barbs, an Oscar, Pacus, Silver Dollars, Plecos, and a catfish I could have! :rolleyes: Honestly, I thought the ANGELS would have been big enough, but... Geez. I can't figure out WHERE he bought them. Sans the Oscar and the Pacus, I haven't seen any of those other monsters at the local LFSs. They weren't exactly small, either.
All of these big fish have me looking for smaller livestock now, so I'm draining the tank and converting it into a Paludarium for some assorted nano fish and some kind of Hylid frogs.
TL;DR- we can all stop worrying about the Angels now. It makes me mad that he managed to kill them, but also relieved that I don't have to juggle tanks anytime soon.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
sounds like he doesn't know a whole lot about keeping fish healthy. makes me wonder if all those bigger fish are crammed into one tank......... :irked:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store