75g planted questions.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nocturnus

AC Members
Feb 26, 2004
Central Texas
www.photo-mojo.net
Real Name
Ed
Camera Used
Canon 70d
I think I decided to do my 75g tank as a planted tank. I've been looking at T5 fixtures, and my understanding, t5 is a more "intense" light then what I've used in the past (power compacts). I was looking at a dual bulb 48" setup with 2 54w 6700k lights. I'm trying to stay away from having to go co2 on this tank. The main plants I want to use in this tank are the various forms of Vals, Green Cabomba, Ludwigia and Rotala Indica.

I am planning to finish stocking it with a few Angelfish, nice group of Clown Loaches and a few more of what I got in there now (I'm drawing a total blank at this time!).-

I am looking at this to be a overly planted tank. Just want my fish in this tank to have good places to hide among real plants and not the ole fake ones I have in there now.

Would I be safe w/o co2. I know I'd have to figure out a trace dose chart.

Is there anything important I am leaving out that I need to address?

BrainLady

AC Members
Jan 11, 2011
Southern California
Real Name
Denise
I have a 75 gallon with two Clown Loaches. I love this fish, but am concerned that I will have to eventually re-home them. They grow to over 12 inches and quite fat. I have yo-yo's as well, two tanks, 55 and 75 gallon. I am thinking I will have to get a bigger tank in the future. I was told that a 75 is an ok grow-out tank, which is fine, but when I bought my Clown loaches I had no idea they got so big.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
You won't need CO2 with that light level. A good rule of thumb is that over 2 wpg you'll want to start with CO2.

The clown loaches will not only get too big for your tank, but they're famous for uprooting plants.

Nocturnus

AC Members
Feb 26, 2004
Central Texas
www.photo-mojo.net
Real Name
Ed
Camera Used
Canon 70d
I've had clowns before, so I know how they can grow and I normally get them small (~2") so I have a while to go on growth. Maybe I need to leave my 75g along and put my focus on the 20g that I also want to go planted on. Since I already have all the needed parts.

SumTinsFishy

Vampire Pleco??
Nov 3, 2009
Fennville, Michigan
Real Name
Joel
Yea it does make a difference depending on regualr T5s or T5 HO. Also I have a trio of clowns in a heavily planted tank, I've never had any issues with them uprooting anything. Not saying it's not a possibility though.
Good luck

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
I've been looking at T5 fixtures, and my understanding, t5 is a more "intense" light then what I've used in the past (power compacts).

I was looking at a dual bulb 48" setup with 2 54w 6700k lights. I'm trying to stay away from having to go co2 on this tank.

If you want to stay away from Co2 then I would suggest NORMAL output rather than HIGH output.

108w of HO will force your hand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store