how important is substrate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
I would say it all depends on WHAT you're growing. With HC I would use fertile substrate. That's the only thing I can think of that I would utilize Eco or Ada for.

Other than that ROOT TABS for me.

Last edited:

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I agree that it depends on what you're growing. Many plants that are heavy root feeders (ie. swords, crypts, etc) can be target fed with root tabs. Once you start getting to the higher maintenance/light requiring plants, then I'd think of a specialized substrate as more important.

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
I agree that it depends on what you're growing. Many plants that are heavy root feeders (ie. swords, crypts, etc) can be target fed with root tabs. Once you start getting to the higher maintenance/light requiring plants, then I'd think of a specialized substrate as more important.
interesting. I do hear a lot if you dose the water column then that can take the place of a heavily nutrient filled soil.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
It also depends on how the tank is setup. You will always have a limiting factor (something holding back or limiting the growth rate of the plants). If you have a lot of light, CO2, etc. then the substrate may be your limiting factor. I don't do any CO2 so that is my limiting factor, therefore the inert sand and root tabs are enough for my tanks.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
interesting. I do hear a lot if you dose the water column then that can take the place of a heavily nutrient filled soil.
I think this piece really depends on the types of plants you choose. Some plants feed mostly from the water column, some from the substrate. A sword for instance will not benefit much from water column dosing, as it feeds almost solely from the roots. Most stem type plants will benefit way more from dosing the column as they don't feed as much from the roots.

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
I feel that when you do something that you should do it right. When that theory is brought over to my planted tank, specifically my substrate, I would rather have a plant specific substrate to provide nutrients to my plants so that they can get a good start. I do not want to have the hassle of using an inert substrate (ie. sand) and making root tabs on a weekly or biweekly basis. I simply feel the the money is well spent from the beginning because it gets you off on the right foot and you dont have to be constantly playing catch up.

I do understand that plant specific substrates have their "expiration date" where they run out of nutrients, but I do feel that since you are dosing your water column with a form of EI dosing that the water and nutrients do make it down into your substrate and keep it nutrient rich. With sand you need to start with an inert substrate and get it to the point where it becomes nutrient rich, and IMHO, that is too much of a hassle.

When I need to value things in life, I value my time at $20/hr. If i would need to spend 15 minutes once every two weeks to purchase materials, make, insert, and do other maintenance (such as stirring) to my sand substrate it would cost around $130. At this rate I could have gone out and purchased 3 bags of eco-complete for 22/bag, a years worth of ferts, and some new co2 accessories and still spend less than $130.

-Chris

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Eco & Flourite don't "expire" or break down but I understand ADA & some others turn to mush after a while. I like eco better than flourite sand, I haven't tried others, mostly I use pool sand & root tabs but I'm low tech.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store