is an all bottom dwelling tank possible

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
assuming they are all compatible. maybe a few middle swimmers, but a majority of them will be corys, kuhli loaches, and whatever you can suggest. thanks!

EDIT: details. 20H footprint is 12x24". plant substrate.

Last edited:

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Depending on the numbers of other fish, a bristle nose pleco might work well too. I would usually suggest a school of pygmy corys as they are bottom and middle dwelling fish. On the bottom they act like any other cory. When they feel like it though, they school in the middle of the tank. My concern would be the loaches. The maximum size is all over the place. Some say two inches and others four inches. Four inch might eat the pygmy corys.

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
Depending on the numbers of other fish, a bristle nose pleco might work well too. I would usually suggest a school of pygmy corys as they are bottom and middle dwelling fish. On the bottom they act like any other cory. When they feel like it though, they school in the middle of the tank. My concern would be the loaches. The maximum size is all over the place. Some say two inches and others four inches. Four inch might eat the pygmy corys.
thanks. loaches aren't high on my list unless there is a dwarf peaceful variety, but the pygmy and other dwarf corys I think would make a nice part of that tank.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
A 20H doesn't have much "footprint" for bottom dwellers. Kuhlis wot't bother any fish, mine live with cherry shrimp. They are rather active, a 24 inch is kinda small for a group of 6 especially with other bottom guys. A BN is also pushing it. Sidthimunki (dwarf) loaches are too active as well.

If you want as many fish as possible, go with dwarf corys, pygmaes & habrosus are very cute. Maybe some shrimp too, they're much more interesting than I thought. Plus a school of tiny rasboras, all the boraras are small or other nano fish, CPDs?

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Kuhli loaches will not bother any of your other fish. I agree that a 20 high is awkward footprint for a tank of this nature, but it can be done.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store