Aquascaping Ideas w/ Plant List

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rescue Ranger

AC Members
Nov 7, 2008
Hey all,

Just ordered my Co2 system

Here are some tank specs, and photos.
55 Gallon
AH Supply 55x2 Watt
Ancient dresser as my stand (it works)
Aquariumplants.com substrate mixed with fine white gravel
Penn Plax Cascade 1200 (310 GPH Flow)
Pressurized Co2
Currently working on the Rex Griggs style inline reactor

Plants I was thinking of ordering, feel free to comment/suggest. I want to make the piece of driftwood on the left sort of the focal point of the tank:

Petite Nana (2) For the anubias - I'm guessing the rhizome gets tied to the driftwood and the roots will grab on?
anubias minima (2)
echinodorus amazonicus (1)
crypto wendtii green (2)
Red Lotus (1)
Crypto Lutea (1)
elucharis acicularis (not sure how much I need to cover a significant portion of the ground)
Vallisneria americana gigantea (3 or 4)

Here are some tank photos. it's been a freshwater tank now for 2 years, and I just took out the fake plants, castle, etc. Tank just had a water change so the water is a hint cloudy (and spots on the outside.. need to clean it :p)

IMG_0278 by soloiievo, on Flickr

IMG_0280 by soloiievo, on Flickr

I look forward to my planted venture!

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
Looks like a great start.

Suggestion 1. Black background (takes forcus off of whats behind the tank)

Plant stock looks like a good start.

Are you saying 2 55watt bulbs, what is the lighting?

What Co2 system did you order?

Rescue Ranger

AC Members
Nov 7, 2008
Looks like a great start.

Suggestion 1. Black background (takes forcus off of whats behind the tank)

Plant stock looks like a good start.

Are you saying 2 55watt bulbs, what is the lighting?

What Co2 system did you order?
Any suggestions on how to make it a black background? Vynyl tape? Paint, or paper, etc.?

55x2 6700k bulbs from AH Supply. Not exactly sure on bulb type (Part 11556 - 55 Watt 6700K Compact Bulb http://ahsupply.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=3)

Co2 is Milwaukee setup w/ bubble counter. I know it's not the most popular choice, but it fit the budget, and there is a local shop that stocks parts for them out the buttocks. Was very inexpensive.

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN

Rescue Ranger

AC Members
Nov 7, 2008
You can use Autozone Limo Tint, go to petco/petsmart, or spray paint it.

Are you lights High Output or Normal Output (important to know this) Now that I think about it I think these are T12 bulbs.

I have the same system. Now you want to get yourself a DropChecker and 4dKH solution.

Drop Checker - http://cgi.ebay.com/CO2-Drop-Checke...230?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb321b80e

4dKH solution - http://cgi.ebay.com/4-dKH-Reference...223?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35af3c582f

awesome, i'll order those right away. In the meantime, can't I check Co2 saturation by kh vs. ph charts?

I don't know HO vs normal. this guy only sells fishtank lighting so I'd hope it'd be worthy for a planted aquarium. I'll look at the bulb when I get home.

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
can't I check Co2 saturation by kh vs. ph charts?

Yes but isn't it easier to look into the tank and check the color of the indicator rather than check kh and checking pH? LOL

This is something that has to be carefully watched..You want enough, but you surely don't want TOO MUCH.

Sigrid

AC Members
Jan 8, 2011
both hands in fish tank
Real Name
Bristlenose
Quick and inexpensive way to "blacken or green" the background.
Paint the tank from the outside. We did this with my 125, and it blocks out anything that is behind the tank....make the paint job a bit messy to it will not look like a pained living room wall...future plants and/or driftwood pieces will show up nicely in front of the paint job.
That's it for now.

Rescue Ranger

AC Members
Nov 7, 2008
Ok, they are HO lights.

I put in a big piece of driftwood, I gotta update pics as I go. Ordering plants today.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store