Phosphate reducers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nynikki

"Would you like to play a game?"
Aug 7, 2007
Phoenix
This may be a newbee question, but I wanted to ask. In the past my 30G setup I used a canister filter and used phosban to remove any phosphates. I didn't have a sump or skimmer, just the canister on that tank. With the new 90g there is a 35g sump with a G2 skimmer. I'm wondering if you use the same type of phosban in the sump? or is there some other product that can be used to remove any phosphates? It's not an issue now, but I would like to keep it that way. :)

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
I woud ditch the cannister and purchase a reactor. You can get a small phosban reactor like this one:

you should also read up on biopellets. Apparently the stuff is amazing at sucking up phosphates and nitrates.

nynikki

"Would you like to play a game?"
Aug 7, 2007
Phoenix
I started doing some reading on algae scrubbers, and then began reading up more on macroalgae. I have a good sized colony of macroalgae growing in the fuge portion of the sump and lots of happy bugs are living there too. It looks like sea monkey heaven in there. So now I'm doing research on how to care for this as well. But that brings me back to the phosphate concern, if you have a large colony of macroalgae living in the fuge, do you even need a phosphate reactor at all? In theory, shouldn't the algae scrub that out?
I've been reading all week about these new things I'm now in charge of caring for... what an education I'm getting here! Thanks for sharing your learned knowledge with me. =)

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
^^ each system is different, and so many factors are different between one tank and another that it's hard to determine an exact formula that works for everyone.

You should keep monitoring your tank to see if your macro algae is doing enough to rid the tank of any phosphates/nitrates. When/if you start seeing them rise, you can look into what next step you should take to try to fix the problem.

Personally, my next step is to give the biopelloets a try. Ive heard many good things.

Good luck!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I am not having a whole lot of luck with Bio-Pellets myself. All it is doing for me is making cyano grow at extreme rates in my sump since adding them. I also have GFO after my bio-pellets like recommended. I literally have to clean my sump out 2x a week from the solid mass of cyano that covers everything in the sump, but luckily it stays in the sump and doesn't make it to the display. I just put my hand in the sump and scoop out handfuls of snot (bacteria and cyano). Not pleasant at all. It may be because I already had 0/0 nitrates/phosphates before I added the pellets and since I don't have enough "food" for the pellets in my system they are doing bad things instead of good.

The way I think of an algae scrubber compared to macro algae is one normal sized screen, around 10"x8", is the same as a ball of cheato the size of a basket ball. Both will do the same thing, just one takes up a lot less room to do it.

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
I am not having a whole lot of luck with Bio-Pellets myself. All it is doing for me is making cyano grow at extreme rates in my sump since adding them. I also have GFO after my bio-pellets like recommended. I literally have to clean my sump out 2x a week from the solid mass of cyano that covers everything in the sump, but luckily it stays in the sump and doesn't make it to the display. I just put my hand in the sump and scoop out handfuls of snot (bacteria and cyano). Not pleasant at all. It may be because I already had 0/0 nitrates/phosphates before I added the pellets and since I don't have enough "food" for the pellets in my system they are doing bad things instead of good.

The way I think of an algae scrubber compared to macro algae is one normal sized screen, around 10"x8", is the same as a ball of cheato the size of a basket ball. Both will do the same thing, just one takes up a lot less room to do it.

Really ... That sucks.. I spoke to the owner of an LFS who specializes in rare corals. Since using biopellets, he told me his tanks have cleared up of any algae (or cyano) they had. he did tell me, however, that if not setup correctly, biopellets can do more harm than good. He said that you absolutely need the required amount of biopellets and never to put more than suggested. high flow (tumbling), and that it should run alone in the system. no need for any other media in the tank.

Good luck Ace.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
high flow (tumbling), and that it should run alone in the system. no need for any other media in the tank.

Good luck Ace.
Here is a quote from BulkReefSupply:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/BRS-Bio-Pellets
Once you have the nitrate levels down we recommend continuing the use of GFO to maintain optimal parameters in the tank. You may find that your GFO lasts longer when used in conjunction with the bio pellet system.
That was the reason I put in GFO. Actually, when I added bio-pellets BRS had on the main description that GFO was actually required to be placed in a second canister after the bio-pellets, which is what I did. Still, I do believe my problem comes from the fact I didn't require bio-pellets to begin with since I had no measurable nitrates or phosphates before adding them, which is why I think on my system they are doing more harm than good. This is only on my system. I know Bio-pellets work for a lot of people so I am not going to say they don't work... they do work, they just need to right system to work properly and it seems mine is not it.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew

How did the algae react? I could see some potential die-off from the algae while using bio-pellets causing cyanobacteria, which is why I never used any bacterial-based methods while using a scrubber. Also, if your skimmer is still offline, I could see it potentially doing more harm than good.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Skimmer was put back online the second I added bio-pellets, and set to skim wet, and the output of the reactor is 1/2" from the intake of the skimmer. So I covered those bases.

Algae did die off on my ATS, turned yellow/slimy for a couple weeks, but is now coming back.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store