Hair algae... Ewww!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pinky210

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
So In my newly set up 55 I am having issues with a few different kinds of hair algae. Oedogonium, Spirogyra, and I think some Cladophora. I don't mind the other algae types since my falrowella is so fond of them.

I remove what I can by hand, but there is a lot of fuzzy stuff growing on my leaves, that I cant get off. I've heard that dosing excel will work, but that it also kills vals (I have jungle and Italian Leopard vals).

Whats the best course of action to take? I don't want to add any fish or shrimp to the tank if I can get around it.

prober

AC Members
Dec 20, 2010
eastern Washington (the state)
Real Name
Jeff
I just added 3 ottos to my 20 last night and the hair aldae is nearly gone. I did not have that much to begin with but they cleaned the plants right off and are looking fat and happy.

I slowed it down quite a bit by adding DIY co2 and getting my ferts right, as well as using Excel. My hornwart does not like it but is starting to recover nicely. All the new growth is very healthy and not affected by the excel. I also just used a half dose for several days which helped them acclimate. I have heard others say that sometimes Vals will also acclimate to it if dosed slowly at first.

One other thing I do is throw a towel over the tank for about an hour in the morning when it gets some fairly direct sunlight. I am hoping to avoid moving the tank when summer comes but may have to.

Pinky210

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
I have a 36" dual bulb 21wt 6.500k T5NO fixture over the tank the lights are on for around 10-12 hours a day, I did have some direct sun light but I took care of that before the algae was an issue. There is no CO2 and no Excel currently.
I do dose the appropriate amount of regular flourish once a week or so.

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
i would reduce your photo period to 8 hours.

according to james planted tank http://www.jsctech.co.uk/theplantedtank/algae.htm

"Can be very difficult to eradicate at times. A high plant mass with good CO2 and a good supply of nutrients along with constantly hassling the algae seems to pay off after a while. Removal by twisting around a toothbrush or similar. Overdosing Flourish Excel can help. Amano shrimps, Rosy barbs and mollies will often eat it."

Pinky210

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
Thats the site I used to ID my algae lol

I'll try to cut down my photoperiod, my plants are growing like mad so I figured they enjoyed it lol
Hmmm, It's mostly on my saggiteria, so I'm not sure a tooth brush would work too well. I can't afford a real CO2 system right now (I hear DIY is useless in anything over a 30g), I it looks like I need to try excel. Is there any way to acclimate vals to it?

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
hmm that's tricky. Well the other suggestion i can make is turn off one of your lights. Try that out. Lower lighting means lower demand for co2 an other nutrients. You will surprised how little light plants actually need. I for example only have .8 watts/gallon of T5HO light in my 29 gallon tank.

Pinky210

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
I can't really turn one off though, it's a both or nothing type fixture, and I really dislike the idea of having an open ballast, even if I have glass between it and the water.
I do have a diffuser I can put over it though, do you think that would help?

Pinky210

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
No unfortunately I can't do that either, Its in a canopy, that sits between 3" and 4" from the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store