75 gallon reef tank Journal (Video Journal)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mes1234

AC Members
Jan 25, 2010
This is my new(used) 75 gallon reef tank. I currently have a beautiful 55 gallon that I can show later in a different video, but I got a upgrade from a man about 15 minutes away from me who needed it gone. Basically, it is super cold outside and he was running 2 heaters out in the garage to keep the live rock warm. His wife wanted everything out, so he just called me and told me to come get it for free. When I arrived, i was just in awe on how nice the stuff was. Sometimes people give stuff away because it is in such rough shape they know they cannot sell it, so why not have someone come get it with no work involved. This was not the case. This was a man who just didn't need money, was retired, and had a wife that told him to get rid of it. He had a 75 (mine now), a 65 gallon that both had tons of premium live rock in it. He thew ALL the live rock into the 75 gallon, and put it out in the garage to sit for 8 months. But back on track, I came there with 12 buckets and loaded the rock in them and took the tank off his hands. This video journal will be me cleaning EVERYTHING and figuring out new methods to get things up and running so I can get my fish and corals from my 55, to this 75 with the least amount of stress possible on both. Hope everyone enjoys this journal, there will be updates every day, and on weekends may only be one update during the whole weekend as I am very busy on weekends. Enjoy everyone.

[YT]G57o1K4eDFw[/YT]

Last edited:

Haydn24

Boo!
Jun 28, 2010
Australia
Real Name
Haydn
Cool vid :) but I think that rock is just base rock now :p

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
that's incredible! Congrats on the tank and especially the rock.

Don't be too sure that tall that rock is dead. If it was submerged in saltwater and heated, I'm almost positive there are still critters in there somewhere.

I purchased rock off a guy who had it inside a bin, unheated and with no water circulation. It had been there for about 3 months. It was white, with no sign of life whatsoever. I placed it all in my tank, and within weeks I started to see it all come to life.

Keep us updated! And show some pics of your 55.

mes1234

AC Members
Jan 25, 2010
Day 2

Hey everyone. Hope everyone is enjoying the videos. This is day 2 of my restoration project on the 75 gallon reef tank. I have 90% finished the glass lids, and beginning the work on the actual tank itself. Enjoy the first video which has footage of my current 55 gallon. I will have possibly 5 videos today for you guys. Enjoy :) and please leave comments. I love comments.

[YT]wyZ3cjAihaw[/YT] [YT]u9RXr6VOrWM[/YT]

mes1234

AC Members
Jan 25, 2010
End of day 2

Okay, so this is the last video of day 2. The tank is coming together nicely, and is beginning to shine! Hope to hear from you all, enjoy the movies.
[YT]eiomY7NJEtQ[/YT]

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
That anemone is huge! Very healthy looking tank, (your 55).. congrats.

and enjoy cleaning out and setting up your new tank.

Keep us updated.

Question: how come you keep the water level in your sump so low?

mes1234

AC Members
Jan 25, 2010
I keep it low just on one side. I have to because if the power fails, the return water fills the entire tank up. So by keep the water level just on one side low like that, it allows me breathing room if the power or pump fails.

mes1234

AC Members
Jan 25, 2010
well I could at some point. Since I am switching to a new sump, I will have to refit everything and see if I have the room for it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store