Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want to fish!

Usergroup
    AC Members
    ya its probably not bad as lomg as you buy a good brand.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    10-10-2014 5:31 PM
    Blog Entries
    I personally invest in quality equipment but I was also a serious fisherman. I have somewhere around 20-30 rods and reels, from ultralight to heavy boat rods.

I see no sense in investing in quality equipment the first few times you go out. By the same token, you will have less equipment and tackle problems. I do have a couple of cheap setups and believe it or not they have lasted for several years. When I fish for keepers I only use my quality equipment. When I fish for fun I use anything I happen to grab up.

Spider wire is especially limp and very thin. Ideal for the experienced person as is braided line. I don't recommend it due to the price and being a first outing. If you get bit by the fishing bug, then by all means invest in it and a quality reel. For now, don't get the cheapest, try to get middle-of-the-road priced line and equipment.

Because I used to fish quite heavily and often participated in tournaments, I wouldn't blink an eye at at spending $200 on a rod and another $150 for reel. But that's to be expected when you can literally walk to a place to fish and practice.

Learn and use the Palomar knot - quick, easy and can be ties with wet, cold hands.
    http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php
    Last edited by excuzzzeme; 01-16-2011 at 8:23 AM.
    "Faith is not about everything turning out OK; Faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out."

Usergroup
    Moderators
    Real Name
    Mark
    Last Activity
    10-17-2014 3:57 PM
    Just to learn on, I'd buy a zebco 33 or 333 set up which will do fine for bass and catfish and find out if you can learn to fish before spending a lot of money on equipment. I've been fishin' for 46 yrs and like ex, own 30 or 40 setups from light tackle to heavy offshore rigs. I learned on a little zebco rig. My kids learned on little zebco rigs. They're easy to cast and the 33 and 333 have enough muscle to land decent fish.

Mark
    What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue. Robert Anson Heinlein

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Teigan
    Last Activity
    09-03-2014 1:00 PM
    i use the shimano 6'6 solara and a shimano 4000r open face reel they are very good and strong rods i use a 12-15 lb test spider wire and learn how to tie a fishermans knott it will save you many lures and many swivels there fairly cheap rods and are very good for a beginner

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information