I want to fish!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I've been a complete fishing noob my entire life. I'd like to invest in a somewhat decent rod and real. My main target is probably going to be bass and catfish because you can catch them just about anywhere here.

What rod/reel should I use? What questions can I answer for you to help you guys give me a decent suggestion? I'm not looking to spend a whole heep of money, but I want something decent to get me started in the right direction.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I don't have much experience going freshwater, but it may help if other know whether your casting from shore or on a boat.

TankHobbyist

AC Members
Mar 19, 2010
ither way ive found that a traditional open face reel is nice. if you know how to use one? the brand on those varys greatly and i have found shakspeer to probably give the best quality for the price.

rods) that depends alot on what you like ie. flexible rod (graphite). There are a few good brands with one of the best being ugly sticks.

i personaly dont like the flexible rods because with the heavier fish (in your case catfish) the rod will almost double up on itself with the weight.

TankHobbyist

AC Members
Mar 19, 2010
indeed they are my gpa got his 15 years ago and handed it off to me its still in top condition.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
to find out if you like the sport or not, I would have you invest in a glass rod of mediaum action, 6'6" length. For a reel, a spinning reel that will hold up to 15lb test line. For line, Stren makes a good general purpose monofilament. I would select 12lb test. Cheap fishing line will have a high reel memory as will not cast as well. Berkley also makes a good line.

6'6" rod, medium action, with 12lb test will not be ideal for panfish but will suffice if you take time to learn rod balance. It will however do well for the likes of catfish.

You can do well with a store rod and set-up for a first rod. Most store rods come with cheap everything and they do not last. I think if you spend a little bit more and get a little better setup you will have more fun. Make sure you have an experienced person help you the first time out. They can show you proper casting, rigging, and bait for your area.

Learn how to properly tie a knot! Yes, it really matters. Tieing a knot in monofilament is not the same as rope, string, or yarn.

By chance are you going fishing in Sabino Canyon or Mount Lemmon?

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I'll be going up to Mt. Lemmon occasionally. It's fun up there and the weather is always nice and they stock the lake up there.

Thanks for the suggestions.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
if you want more info, check the local bait shops in the area you plan to fish. They could probobly tell you the best set-up to go with based on what your trying to catch

TankHobbyist

AC Members
Mar 19, 2010
another thought is with the moni fillament. i hate the stuf for the very reasin of its reel memory it kinks bends twists and stays that way.

spider wire is made a cloth material that holds up well.

if you go with that then youl spend more time reeling in fish and less fighting with a tangeled line

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Thanks everyone:) I know walmart caries a variety of reels and rods and I know they have spider wire. Would you guys suggest going somewhere like that for a cheap decent set up to get me going? Or somewhere like sportmans or dicks? I ive pretty far away from everything and getting up mt lemmon from my house alone take about 2-3 hours.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store