my wrasse...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

melissadotson

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
parkersburg wv
about a month ago i bought a new baby yellow tail corris wrasse..ever since i put him in the tank he has been hiding under the sand...is this normal? i saw him this morning for the first time in about a week..i thought for sure he had died..i fed him some frozen brine shrimp..he ate then just layed on the bottom of the tank for about 10 minutes..he wouldn't swim much..is this normal? he them re barried his self again in the sand...has anyone ever had any experance with one of these fish before..that maybe they can give me some advise on they're behavior?...

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I would start to get concerned at this point. I know some wrasses can stay buried most of the time for up to 3 weeks until they get comfortable in a tank and adjusted to the light schedule, but when they are out they should act naturally and swim all around the tank hunting the rocks for small things to eat.

Any chance of setting up a QT tank suitable for it so you can give it some deworming medication since that is the most common ailment to wrasses.

Burrowing into the sand is their favorite sleeping arrangement. Some say you can set your watch by their bedtime! In the morning, they poke their head out to make sure the coast is clear and then they will fully emerge. When first emerging, they will be a little on the loopy side until they get their bearing, up to 10 minutes later. Throughout the day they are constantly foraging for food on live rock.
They must be treated for worms, because as many as 75 to 85% of wrasses arrive with intestinal worms. Treat with 250 mg (.0089 ounces) of Piperazine, praziquantel, or levamisole per 100g of food (3.5 ounces) each day for 10 days. Another option is niclosamide at 500 mg (.0176 ounces) per 100g of food (3.5 ounces) for 10 days. You may have to gut load live foods to administer the medication.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store