Open top tanks, who has them..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nocturnus

AC Members
Feb 26, 2004
Central Texas
www.photo-mojo.net
Real Name
Ed
Camera Used
Canon 70d
I was thinking of doing open top on my 75 gallon. The openings are a odd size and all the glass top's I've tried so far are just a bit to wide. I was messing around with some window screen frame and window screen, but all I can find is the grey screen here and that seems to kill some light. I read somewhere about the grid stuff used for lighting in buildings, but I think there will be light loss there also. I have 1/4" plexiglass now, but after about a week I have to turn it over since it starts to sag down into the water.

So, my choices are, open tank, possibly get glass cut to fit or.... Any other ideas?

I kinda dig the open top look for some reason. I also have nothing that can jump up on tanks. And my only real concern is dog hair from my pup. It seems to get all over the place no matter what.

*edit* this might need to be moved to another sub-forum. Wasn't paying attention to where I posted.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i used to keep my planted 55 open topped. found i had to top off the tank often due to evaporation, but the plants grew a lot nicer than they do now with glass tops on the tank. if i didn't have fish nowadays with a tendency to jump i'd go back to open topped.

mroth_3

shrimp boat captain
Dec 24, 2008
Iowa
I will take open top any day of the week. A canopy of some sort helps keep debris out fish in, but I hate having glass over it. It inevitably gets water spots and condensation and restricts light shortly after cleaning. The evaporation this time of the year sort of sucks, however.

derekp

MTS Awareness Member
Nov 11, 2007
I think you will be fine with an open top with those fish. I have had several open top tanks and the only fish I had a problem with was rainbows. My tetras never jumped out. Shrimp will also climb out quite frequently.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
although i kept my tank open topped with cories in it i would be wary of doing it again. when they zip to the surface for air they may just mis-judge the distance and go popping out of the tank. a couple of times my cories have bonked their little noggins on the underside of my glass lids when zipping up for air.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store