I am ready to go dry ferts but need som info

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

prober

AC Members
Dec 20, 2010
eastern Washington (the state)
Real Name
Jeff
I have read the stickys and other threads and have the basic idea and there is a feed store less than 1/4 mile from me so I want to just go there rather than do the mail order thing. I do have a couple questions though.

First, I have flourish for micros and Excel as well as DIY co2. What other ferts should I get and what form should they be in? Is it as simple as asking for N, P and K? Forgive my ignorance, I just don't want to get the wrong stuff.

Second, I assume I eventually will need a test kit for these levels but it will be a while before I make the 200 mile trip to a city large enough to possibly have them in stock and the mail order thing is kinda spendy on shipping. Will using the EI method get me close enough until spring when I will be making a trip to a large city and what tests are good for this stuff?

Left C

AC Members
Jul 21, 2005
Burlington, NC
  • For N and K dosing, use KNO3
  • For P dosing use KH2PO4
  • For K dosing (if needed), use K2SO4
  • Some folks use a "GH Booster" to dose Ca, Mg, K and some even add Fe and Mn with it as well. If you use this, you may not need K2SO4. If your GH is high, you may not to dose any GH Booster. You may even be getting enough K from KNO3, but it probably would hurt if you dosed K2SO4. Even if your GH is high, you could still be low in Mg. In this case, you can dose Epsom Salt [FONT=&quot](MgSO4 • 7H2O).[/FONT]

There are also many other compounds that you can use for dosing N, P, K, Ca, Mg, Mn, Fe, etc. Check out the fertilator over at APC to see the options.

If I were you, I would get the correct ferts from a mail order company and be done with it. You'll know that you are getting the correct products. Here's a good place: http://aquariumfertilizer.com/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You may not even need to go to "full EI." Tom has some other dosing methods that may suit you much better.

Since it is a non CO2 method of water column dosing, this thread would be more appropriate for the given goals.

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/2817-Non-CO2-methods

If you like Excel:
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/4266-Hybrid-methods-fusing-dry-start-excel-with-non-CO2

Various methods suit various goals, no one method will be able to meet all management goals. They are based on the rates of growth and ease of labor.

I have no intent of trying to sway anyone to CO2 or not........that is their choice based on the goals they have. Given that, I would not suggest using EI.

I have non CO2 tanks myself.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Last edited:

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Root tabs might be a good solution for you.
The ones I recommend are Jobe's Palm and Fern spikes.
30 in a pack for $2.29 at my local hardware store. You break them into 1/3s and use each piece as you would one root tab. A decent size sword gets three of the 1/3s, spaced around the plant a couple of inches from the plant. One every four inches on a grid will do well and is simple to deal with.

jawasnack

Live plants and fish make you smile
Dec 8, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Gary
Root tabs might be a good solution for you.
The ones I recommend are Jobe's Palm and Fern spikes.
30 in a pack for $2.29 at my local hardware store. You break them into 1/3s and use each piece as you would one root tab. A decent size sword gets three of the 1/3s, spaced around the plant a couple of inches from the plant. One every four inches on a grid will do well and is simple to deal with.
What a great idea! I never thought of using Jobe's Palm and Fern spikes!
what precautions should I take if I want to try using them in a moderately planted low light/low tech community fish 36gal tank?

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
The only problems I have heard of with the root spikes is if you disturb them they can make a mess.
try root medic (left c posted the link up there ^^^), fertcicles or the recipe in the sticky for diy root tabs. can't go wrong, really.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store