Low-Tech 36g bowfront tank questions..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ryfish

AC Members
Oct 9, 2010
Canton, CT
Real Name
Ryan
I was hoping for some help/advice with upgrading my tank lights so that I can have a good low-moderate tech setup without the need for CO2. I want a light that will support the most variety of plants possible.

I also had a question about fertilizing. Is the information on the post it section mainly for high tech co2 injected tanks? What is recommended for low tech tanks as regards to fertilizing?

I was looking at this light: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F9AJDS/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A16EQQFLPSKFJZ.

I think this one would fit right on my tank since it is 30 inches long and about 4 inches wide.

Would it be worth making a glass lid and getting a different light that sits up higher to lighten the entire tank more? I am really new and would love advice from anyone. This is my first tank ever!

Thanks for looking!

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I would not get that light even for a low tech setup. Its just not enough watts.
Try looking for T5HO or compact fluorescent light strips.
Though its hard to suggest a light without knowing what kind of plants you would like to grow. With a low tech setup you can grow anubias/ferns/moss and other low light plants without the need of daily ferts or co2 (simple thing as flourish once a week can help)
Co2 and ferts would go hand in hand so if you would go with one it would be best to go with the other as well if you would like to avoid algae.

ryfish

AC Members
Oct 9, 2010
Canton, CT
Real Name
Ryan
I got my idea of what I want my tank to look like from this post (kinda long read):

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php...__st__20__s__99697a323c2f12a8aaf1330c512c1c3f

I plan on getting the same plants she has in her tank. I also have an amazon sword and micro swords already in my tank with an 18 watt t8 light. She mentions using TPN+, what would be similar to this with dry ferts?

I am still looking for a good light fixture if the one above is not enough.

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
actually it would be just right. If you want you can even get the 2x36w and just fluctuate the times each bulb is on (1bulb 6hrs - 2 bulbs 2hrs)
The plants in the above thread are mostly slow growers and are low light plants which do not require much maintenance but will definitely benefit from slight dosing (nutrient rich substrate) and some co2. For those plants (ferns/crypts/anubias) I wouldnt see the need to do the whole IE dosing.

ryfish

AC Members
Oct 9, 2010
Canton, CT
Real Name
Ryan
I just thought of another question, I have so many! Since I just have regular sand as my substrate right now, should I add some eco complete where I plant/re-plant? I do have some osmocote fertilizer which I have been using like root tabs. Would that be enough or should I get a layer of eco complete where I plant?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store