Please help my GSP!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AwesomeM96

AC Members
Jan 15, 2011
Real Name
Michael
I can't tell if something's wrong with my GSP and i don't really trust the internet, but he's been acting strange lately. He is about 2 inches long and I've had him for 6 months, and over the past few weeks he has been baring his teeth and biting at me when I pas by. Is this just his way of saying "Give me food", or is there something wrong. He eats regularly and a variety of frozen and freeze dried foods, and this is the first time he's acted like this. Please help, I just want the best for him!

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Does he keep his rounded belly for a while after he eats or does he have a concave belly? What's the tank size & SG of the tank? Is there plenty of decor to keep him busy exploring?

AwesomeM96

AC Members
Jan 15, 2011
Real Name
Michael
he has plenty of decor and right now he is in a ten gallon, but I ordered a 39 gallon off of ebay on wednesday. He eats fine and has a large belly for a while after, and the sg is below 1.017 but i have been adding about a tablespoon a week with 1/5 water changes a week. I recently checked the water with a test strip also, and it showed all levels as being ideal. Also, this first started shortly after a party I had had, and one of my friends suggested he is just used to when he sees me hes getting fed, and so he's just preparing to eat. Any ideas?

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Could be the fact that he's being under-housed at the moment. I'm sure he'll be much better in the bigger tank. Are you using marine salt? I'd do much larger WC for that tank, minimum of 50% weekly. Also test strips aren't accurate--use the API liquid kits.

AwesomeM96

AC Members
Jan 15, 2011
Real Name
Michael
ok thanks a lot for the help and yea I have noticed he has been acting more cramped up lately, so I found him the tank. He'll probably be much better with more space! Also, here's a picture of the little guy! His name is giblets, pretty accurate for a puffer!

IMG_3029.JPG IMG_3041.JPG IMG_3055.JPG

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Looks like a stress line around his belly.

AwesomeM96

AC Members
Jan 15, 2011
Real Name
Michael
yeah i've noticed that came up recently in the past week or so, but I think it's mostly being cramped up. Like i said, next week the tank should be in and he should probably be a LOT better!

AwesomeM96

AC Members
Jan 15, 2011
Real Name
Michael
also I was wondering should you clip your puffers teeth if they get to long by soaking them in clove oil and clipping their teeth, or is it bad for them? also, how can you tell when their teeth are too long?

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Clove oil has been deemed dangerous, as it totally stops the fish from breathing & can cause brain damage. Only to be used in an emergency, where MS222 or Finqual, cannot be found. If fed the proper crunchy foods, a GSP should never need dentistry.
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/library/hospital/dentistry/

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store