Want to hear about your experience with Fissidens Fontanus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

katana1200

Unhealthy obsession?
I'd like a moss covered piece of driftwood for my upcoming Red Cherry shrimp tank project and I have the perfect driftwood candidate right now. All I'm missing is the moss. I have heard that once Fissidens gets itself rooted you have to take it off with a sandblaster, which is exactly what I'd like. I have had enough experience with guppy grass and java moss floating everywhere lol.

Tank is a 29 gallon tall tank (same footprint as a 15L just twice as tall). Lighting will probably be around 2 wpg, maybe just a little more. Looking at a 65watt fixture. I've heard it said that Fissidens will almost grow in a dark closet.

So, if anyone has any pictures of their Fissidens Fontanus on driftwood, I'd love to see them. I've got plenty of time here, which is one reason I didn't want to post an add on the marketplace. Now, if anyone is going to be doing a trim in a few weeks, and looking to send some down the line, I'd be interested in your terms. If not, I'll post a WTB when the time comes. Thanks for the input.

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
I'm an idiot so never flow my lead...LOL I have had a hard time growing Fissiden moss painfully slow. I had a small amount that got hair algae on it and to clear it up I tossed it the 90g with SAE and other alage handling fish.

Well it was floating on some plants clippings in the 90g that I was planning on planting but I decided to clean out the tank and tossed out the floating plants. You guessed it out went the Fissiden 2 days later at about 12am it dawns on me while thinking what I was going to use it for that it maybe in the trash. I jump out of bed to the basement hoping there would've been enough moisture for it to survive but no luck.

So a 2x2 bites the dust and I'm reduce to watching what little I have mock me while it slowly grows again....LOL

If I get the chance I'll post a pic.

I went looking for this for you from a couple of weeks back....
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/swap-n-shop/124534-fs-fissidens-wood-price-dropped.html

mott

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
Here is a bunch before I sold most of it. I still have a good amount growing, This is a high tech Co2 tank so they grew faster than I expected.

spypet

AC Members
Jan 12, 2011
NY, 11375
in low-moderate light without compressed Co2
FF will thrive, but take twice as long as other
moss to acclimate and start growing, so that
first Month or two you need to be patient, but
it's well worth the wait as FF fills in beautifully.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store