Temperature fluxuation question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Hey there. I have a 60 gallon salwater tank with fish and live rock. I also have just got into corals and placed a small Anthelia in the tank. It has been doing well for 2 weeks now by the looks of it. Here is a video. We no longer have the blue damsels or trigger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR3ybeUl60A

My question is about temperature fluxuations. I live in Alberta Canada and it is the middle of winter and right now it's -30 degree celcius outside. We just installed a wood stove in the same room as the tank and we run the stove everyday from about 5PM until 10PM. The temperature stays at 25 degrees celcius (77 Fahrenheit) in the trank for the entire day but the temp slowly rises to a maximum of 26 degrees celcius everyday. So basically the tank rises and falls an entire degree every day. Is this a problem for the tank?

Thanks!

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Cant even imagine what -30C (approx -16F, I think) would be like.
From what Ive been told by local coral collectors, it fluctuates even more than a degree or two where they collect these corals, dependng on seasons. I wouldnt worry too much and 77F sounds good for both fish and corals.

Matt1972

Registered Member
Jan 15, 2011
Manchester U.K
Not a problem then, ph stability is more important than a 1*c temp fluctuation, are you using a temp. Controller, or just the heaterstat ? The bimetallic strip in the heaterstat is only good for so many cycles, and the evidence on the forums says that when they break, they break so that they stay on. I'd consider a temp controller, you can then plug a fan into it and place it over the surface of the tank, water movement, gas exchange.

I was worried about c02 and pH levels in you're tank,with the stove being in there but from what you said, there's no need to worry.
Looks like you used reef bones to set up the tank?
Matthew.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Cant even imagine what -30C (approx -16F, I think) would be like.
From what Ive been told by local coral collectors, it fluctuates even more than a degree or two where they collect these corals, dependng on seasons. I wouldnt worry too much and 77F sounds good for both fish and corals.
Depends on the area and overall conditions surrounding it--physically and geographically. But I agree that corals can tolerate temperature fluctuations more than many give them credit for. While there isn't anything particularly bad about 77 degrees, it is a bit on the cooler side by comparison to most reefs. The low 80s are far more common.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Although stable pH is important in any tank, but if one's reef tank has drastic fluct , perhaps tank wasnt properly set up or heavily stocked/fed fishes/very old system where it may have lost its buffering ability. But again very rare in appropriately set up/maintained reef tank.

1 degree of fluctuation can be very critical on corals. It all depends what the starting and/or ending temp was/is.

Going back to outside temp. I guess no pi--ing contest up there as it may freeze before hitting the ground or that might suffer frost bite during competition.:joke: Hope this isnt inappropriate to joke about here!

Stay Warm!

Last edited:

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Depends on the area and overall conditions surrounding it--physically and geographically. But I agree that corals can tolerate temperature fluctuations more than many give them credit for. While there isn't anything particularly bad about 77 degrees, it is a bit on the cooler side by comparison to most reefs. The low 80s are far more common.
From what Ive been told/seen, itis getting warmer by the minute it seems. Increase in coral bleaching, etc, etc.
Actually I did very well anywhere from 74-88F (done lot better at 70's for deeper specimen ) for most common corals, lps. some sps, softies, non-photo, but def not all. Didnt really lost any corasl due to fluct w/in their threshold points nor did I loose any coral due to natural pH fluct..

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store