mystery heat

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

traweek

AC Members
Jul 6, 2010
Hi! I think my aquarium is breaking the laws of nature, and I'm hoping someone can explain it. It's a 12G (eclipse, although I use two filters - 1 HOB and 1 submersible - instead of the biowheel), been up and stable about a year and a half now. I do weekly tests, gravel vacuums and water changes, and all is consistently normal and stable. I have two otos (they've been around for about 4 months), a neon tetra (I keep meaning to fill out the school after an ick attack but haven't yet) and a mystery snail, and a variety of basic low-light, low-maintenance plants which are all holding their own against algae. The lights are on 10 hours a day, on a timer, and I'm using the bulb that comes with the eclipse system. The tank is far from sunlight, drafts, or heaters.

A few weeks ago I noticed that it was running hot, like I couldn't get it below 75 or so. Eventually the temperature registered a constant 80. I unplugged the heater days ago, but the temp hasn't gone down. I actually have two mercury thermometers in there because the temp makes no sense, but they both register 80. The house is about 69, so that's a big difference. There have been no changes to the tank in the last 4 months (since the otos were added).

I have a good bit of algae growth of various kinds (hence three algae eaters), could that somehow be giving off heat? Or perhaps one of my filters is getting old and running hot? Or is there something really normal that I'm just too inexperienced to know? This is my first tank...

I'd love to hear your thoughts, I'm so puzzled by this! And I'd really like advice on how to get the temp down, the snail and otos do not care for 80...

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
Try checking the temperature after leaving the lights off for a bit. Sometimes the lights can add a serious kick to the temperature. The filter may be a possible source, but that seems a bit odd to me. Also, you may want to double-check and make sure you don't have any sun hitting the tank. That'll warm it up right quick and since the sun changes angles at different times of the year it may be hitting it now when it missed it before.

MoonstruckMuse

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
When did you add the submersible and the HOB? Are you sure it used to be lower than this temperature in the past?

My 7 gallon heats up like nobody's business when the main body of the filter touches the water, because the filter gets ragingly hot at all times of use. However, if I lower the water an inch or so, the water is far away enough from the hot impeller area that it doesn't heat up. I just leave a small 1" gap from the top of the tank, and it's a lot cooler.
On really warm days, I also take off the top cover of the heater, which allows heat to dissipate more. This is the difference between 82 and 78 F for my tank in the summer.

Submersible filters should be built to not do this, but reach in and feel it to see if there's a lot of heat emanating from it. Feel around on the exterior of your HOB too.

spypet

AC Members
Jan 12, 2011
NY, 11375
other possible suspects;
- biologically active substrate generates a significant amount of heat.
- during the winter months when the sun arcs low across the horizon,
your tank may be exposed to direct sunlight even yards from the window.

traweek

AC Members
Jul 6, 2010
Moonstruck: Both filters have been in there since the very beginning, and (assuming my thermometers are accurate!) the temp used to hover around the low 70's, with the heater on low. I just felt my filters and they don't feel warm, and the thermometers both still show 80, although the light has been out for about 4 hours now.

It's definitely not sun - the location and type of apartment I have means this room gets almost zero direct sun, plus I keep the blinds fully drawn for privacy.

spypet: I don't even know if I have biologically active substrate, TBH. I started with one of the recommended planted tank substrates (ecocomplete, maybe?), but I don't fertilize or dose or anything - so far I've managed to maintain something of a balance, although clearly it's off now - my snail has been spending lots more time up above the water, and the otos hardly ever come out from under their favorite piece of driftwood.

traweek

AC Members
Jul 6, 2010
Algae = light = heat

You think I've got too much light? I haven't looked into it since I was researching back before I started the tank, but I have vague memories of being worried the other direction, like I wouldn't be able to get enough light for my plants with the basic eclipse setup. Am I just keeping it on for too many hours a day maybe? I definitely have more algae growth than I should, so that would make sense. But that still doesn't explain why the temp just recently went up. :/

MoonstruckMuse

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
I'm not really sure what algae=light=heat means....? But, anyhow, you could check if it's your lights by just checking the temp right before you turn the lights on, and right before you're going to turn them off.

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
In that small of a system I would be more than willing to bet its your lighting that is heating up the water that high.

Then again, you said this has been a recent thing on a long time stable tank, so I have no idea.

frigginchi

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Algae is caused by too much light. Having the light on too long will heat up the water. So cut your lighting back to 6-8 hrs a day.

I'm not really sure what algae=light=heat means....? But, anyhow, you could check if it's your lights by just checking the temp right before you turn the lights on, and right before you're going to turn them off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store