Marine 50gal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ricard01

AC Members
Jan 1, 2011
hi every1 i just picked up my new tank today ready to begin the marine experience!!! so i was just hoping someone could help me the market for skimmers, filters and power heads is huge and being new to marine i dont no what equipment is worth the money?? so if you could give me some recommendations? what youve found out about certain products? and if there as good as they say. my tank holds about 50 gal. thankyou!!:huh:

Haydn24

Boo!
Jun 28, 2010
Australia
Real Name
Haydn
Will you be running a sump? :) cause that will make equipment selection easier

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Will you be running a sump? :) cause that will make equipment selection easier
+1 and if you have any ideas on what you want to keep in the tank that will help with equipment selection as well.

ricard01

AC Members
Jan 1, 2011
im not sure about the sump i dont no much about them? what size i would need how would i go about setting them up?? im gona go for a reef tank but im gona take everything real slow! i think mainly inverts and maybe a few fish i definetly want a marine betta saw 1 at my local shop and loved it!!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Get the biggest sump you can manage/fit in your space. It can be an old tank, a rubbermaid bin, even a bucket. It would be best to use a tank though so you can divide it into baffled sections for a skimmer, refugium and return area. You may just want a refugium or maybe just a skimmer but it would be best if you figure that out now so you allow enough space in your sump section to account for your needs. In-sump skimmers will not only need to fit in the length and width of your sump but also the water height that the skimmer sits in is important and unique to each make/model of skimmer.

If you can I would get a drilled tank ("reef ready") or if the tank you have now is not built with tempered glass, you can drill it yourself and get one of the internal overflow boxes on the market. If neither is possible you can run a hang-on overflow. Just know that the hang-ons have some risk for flooding.

If a sump isn't something you want then you can use a hang-on skimmer and/or hang-on refugium. There are manufactured refugiums or you could also use a modified Aquaclear (or similar) HOB filter.

Research the beta and compatible tank mates. Pretty sure small fish are fair game as well as decorative shrimps.

There are lots of "starting up" posts out there. If you just look down the first page you will find quite a few that will give you some ideas. You can also checkout others build threads and see how they went about things.

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
Get the biggest sump you can manage/fit in your space. It can be an old tank, a rubbermaid bin, even a bucket. It would be best to use a tank though so you can divide it into baffled sections for a skimmer, refugium and return area. You may just want a refugium or maybe just a skimmer but it would be best if you figure that out now so you allow enough space in your sump section to account for your needs. In-sump skimmers will not only need to fit in the length and width of your sump but also the water height that the skimmer sits in is important and unique to each make/model of skimmer.

If you can I would get a drilled tank ("reef ready") or if the tank you have now is not built with tempered glass, you can drill it yourself and get one of the internal overflow boxes on the market. If neither is possible you can run a hang-on overflow. Just know that the hang-ons have some risk for flooding.

If a sump isn't something you want then you can use a hang-on skimmer and/or hang-on refugium. There are manufactured refugiums or you could also use a modified Aquaclear (or similar) HOB filter.

Research the beta and compatible tank mates. Pretty sure small fish are fair game as well as decorative shrimps.

There are lots of "starting up" posts out there. If you just look down the first page you will find quite a few that will give you some ideas. You can also checkout others build threads and see how they went about things.

+1 I have to agree here. Also, wanting a reef, the types of corals you want will affect your lighting needs and powerhead needs, placement.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store