Strange dark line on Green Spotted Puffer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wrek

AC Members
Dec 20, 2010
I know these guys go light to dark on a whim etc., but I've never seen them go dark vertically like this in one spot. Usually it's the underbelly or the lateral but always horizontal patterns.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Is it there all the time or just on occasion? He looks a bit thin.

wrek

AC Members
Dec 20, 2010
It's a new mark on him... he's sleeping now but it looks to be faded a bit already. He is a little thin, he got sick before acclimating him to salt from fresh over the last couple of weeks. - We started the process the day we got him home.

He was fresh when we purchased him of course... he doesn't have the voracious appetite he had but he's getting better. @#* @#!* walmart for selling these poor things to people as fresh water puffers.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
What foods are you offering him? Live earthworms will fatten him up, if he doesn't have internal parasites in him.

wrek

AC Members
Dec 20, 2010
I am feeding him dried blood worms, mysis shrimp and plankton with treats being white wax worms.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I can't say it is necessarily applicable to this species or genus, but Arothron sp. pufferfishes will get dark spots, patches, and/or lines in response to degraded water quality or irritation--sometimes after the fact. I've also seen this happen for no apparent reason and take a very, very long time to go away. Unfortunately, I can't offer a solid explanation or cure, other than make sure that additives are minimal (for risk of irritating sensitive tissues), water quality is as high as possible, and the puffer feeds well.

wrek

AC Members
Dec 20, 2010
Yeah, we sometimes see him go from white to black or black to white for no reason other than because he can apparently.. he does it very quickly, usually in 2-3 minutes. He also likes to practice his puffing now and then. Great character on this guy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store